GFI compatability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarponteaser

Reaction score
I've a Square D subpanel w/out gfi. I read about getting a spa panel from home depot, but all I see on the website is a GE or Eaton make. Anyone know if those gfi breakers will fit a square D panel?

If not, I guess I'd have to install the spa panel in the shed and feed it from my shed subpanel to get a working gfi for the 120/240 toolbox control panel I wish to build one day. My shed panel has a 40 amp master breaker, does it matter if the spa panel is a 50 amp gfi breaker?

My goal is to make a toolbox panel with a PID that can control both a 120 volt 1650 watt heat stick for heating mash water, then switch over to a 3500 watt 220 volt element in a boil pot.

Thanks for any insight, this is going to be a project done in stages but one I'm looking forward to.

Regards

ps..why is a spa panel with 50 amp gfi breaker cheaper than buying a 30 amp gfi breaker??:confused:

ps..why is a spa panel with 50 amp gfi breaker cheaper than buying a 30 amp gfi breaker??:confused:

A few years ago my 100 amp main breaker fried. It was cheaper to buy an entire panel w/breaker than just a breaker...anyone interested in a panel without breaker? :D

Don't interchange breakers in panels that are not the same make, they are not listed by UL to be used in this manner. Do you have a homeline or QO square D panel? Put a regular 50 amp 2 pole breaker in the panel and feed the GFCI spa panel. Regular breakers are reasonably priced.

Thanks for the heads up Sparkyaber...I was guessing that would be the answer.

Pity I was not planning this a year ago when the shed was wired. The panel is a Square D QO panel, with a 40 amp breaker feeding the shed Square D QO panel via 4 insulated solid copper #6 wires in buried conduit.

My shed panel has a 40 amp master breaker, does it matter if the spa panel is a 50 amp gfi breaker?

No. It does not matter functionally. In this scenario, the 40A breaker is in charge making sure the current never exceeds 40A, and the GFCI breaker is just in charge of making sure there is no ground fault.

Back