AG Fever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I made my first AG batch on Saturday and now I can't wait for the weekend to get here so I can brew again. I can't believe how enjoyable it was to do my first all grainl. I have been brewing for about 2 years now I think, so it took me awhile to make the jump from extract.

With spring finally showing up here after a very snowy winter, I think I have brewing fever. I bottled a batch last night and will try to do the other batch I have waiting so that I can clear out carboy space. I think I will try to do a batch the next two weekends.

Unless I can find some buddies to help me drink the stuff faster I may have to step up my own consumption rate a bit (not that I have any trouble now sucking the stuff down faster than I make it!)

I did my first partial mash a couple weekends ago and this weekend will be my first AG..I am really excited about it.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have been brewing for about 6 or 7 weeks and I did my 4th AG brew last weekend.

The first 5 gals went quick (it was a APA) - brought a few ... err I mean 7 or 8 Litre bottles to work - nuff' said.

My 2nd brew is on tap in the kegorator now (A nice IPA that is just awesome!). It turned out great.

My 3rd batch will be kegged (its a wheat beer) tomorrow night. I'm splitting it into two 2.75 gal cornies - 1 corny will get a strawberry extract infusion for SWMBO and the other cornie will be a session beer - no additives.

My 4th batch is the same as #2 - It is that good and fermenting right now :drunk:

I am planning on brewing again this weekend since I'll have a nice yeast cake to go on top of.... Probably going to be an ESB - I'll run it by Brewiz since his ESB flat out rocks!

Crack those grains man - its all good :fro:

AG RULEZ :ban:

All grain is the only way to go in my opinion. It gives you so much flexibility in designing your brew. I switched to all grain about 4 years ago (about 75-80 batches) and design my own recipes at least 90% of the time. Even when I use someone else's recipe, I still tweak it a bit to suit my tastes. I did do an extract kit about six months ago, but by the time I "fixed" it, it only bore a vague resemblance to the original kit.

Extract does have it's place. You can do excellent extract beers if you pay attention to the characteristics of the various brands and types of extracts. An extract brew can save you a couple hours off the time to do an all grain. My all grains take me 4.5 - 5 hours. My last extract brew took 2.5 hours.

Welcome to the world of all grain! You won't regret the move.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Back