How much cold can a mini-fridge get with tweaking and mods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebben

Reaction score
I put a small bath of saline water into the chiller of a mini-fridge at work, and after a few hours it got down to around 18F. Understandably, this is in the coldest part of the fridge, but in theory, with adequate insulation and air circulation, I don't see why the rest of the fridge wouldn't eventually reach this temperature.

I've seen a how-to on instructables.com about modifying a mini-fridge to operate on its back (the door opens vertically), and I think this format would allow the most cold air to remain inside the fridge. How the collar would be modified to allow for a few corny kegs...I don't know yet.

Anywho, those with some experience super-weatherstripping and super-insulating a mini-fridge, how cold can they get and maintain it?

The problem with adding insulation to a mini-fridge is that you would have to add it to the INSIDE. The heat exchanger on most mini-fridges are attached to the outer skin. Adding insulation to the outside would slow down it's ability to get rid of the heat. If you happen to have a model with the coils on the back, then you can safely add insulation to the outside.

Or you can build a custom box and add the innards from a dissected mini-fridge. That's what I did.

I've seen a how-to on instructables.com about modifying a mini-fridge to operate on its back (the door opens vertically), and I think this format would allow the most cold air to remain inside the fridge. How the collar would be modified to allow for a few corny kegs...I don't know yet.

Can you post a link to this? I'd like to see that for sure. I did not think fridges and freezers could be tipped on their side or back for operation - the compressor relies on oil from a reservoir that will not be available when the unit is not standing straight.

The problem with adding insulation to a mini-fridge is that you would have to add it to the INSIDE. The heat exchanger on most mini-fridges are attached to the outer skin. Adding insulation to the outside would slow down it's ability to get rid of the heat. If you happen to have a model with the coils on the back, then you can safely add insulation to the outside.

Or you can build a custom box and add the innards from a dissected mini-fridge. That's what I did.

Part of my idea is to get an old office-water cooler that has a heating component and a mini-fridge component with big coils on the back. How cold does your chamber stay? Do you have any more pics of it?

Part of my idea is to get an old office-water cooler that has a heating component and a mini-fridge component with big coils on the back. How cold does your chamber stay? Do you have any more pics of it?

mini-fridge-total-dissection-photo-story

It holds and will easily accidently freeze 4 cornies. This is better insulated that it was as a mini-fridge

I don't know. I doubt mine would as it is. I suspect though with enough insulation/sealing it could. Maybe a refridgeration expert will chime in. I don't think the mechanism are different for fridges versus freezers. It's just the size of the system (and the insulation)

Back