Newbie here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usc_cop

Reaction score
Just another new guy stumbling into another forum... Excuse me for leeching information form the "pros" on the board...

As I get started in this new hobby, I'll post my progress...

DK, I am amazingly new at this. I went to a gahtering put on by the Palmetto State Brewers this past Saturday and met some wonderful people. I have read "HomeBrewing for Dummies", "The joy of Homebrewing" by Papazian, and am in the middle of "How to Brew" by John Palmer. I like to be sure of what I am doing well before I begin!

Right now, I am deciding what kind of brew system to put together, as I want to be able to do both beer, and wine.

I admire your enthusiasm. You will find that there is a lot of crossover with regards to the process of fermentation, sanitization, racking, care, etc. I would suggest that you pick one to try out, and go simple to start as it pertains to equipment. I had a lot of ideas when I started, but ended up going with the 60 buck kit, and I am glad that I did, as I now can just buy those pieces that I want bases off of my experience, limited as it might be. My best friend does wine, and he is the one that pushed me over the edge to start brewing. Since I am a beer guy and not a wine guy, I went with beer. We still get to talk a lot and share experiences. One way or the other, the experience that you get with one will help you with the other.

slainte!

eviltwinofjoni said:
Also, when asking a question, be prepared to get five different answers and all of them be correct. :p

Brewing is both an art and a science.

Yes you are right here.... hmmmm maybe your right.... I don't know, its hard to tell.... no, I don't think your right...... nope, definatly wrong here.....

....see.... for some replies all five answers are right there:)

before you read too much, I find the best way to learn is just jump in and do a simple batch from a kit. If you mess it up (which seems hard to do) you're not out much at all.

at least thats what I did after browsing the beginner/intermediate sections of the "Dummies" and "Joy of.." It was much easier then i thought. Even though I made mistakes left and right... like pitching the yeast into 95 deg wort and then dropping the airlock stopper + o-ring into said wort. Got the stopper out, but the o-ring wasnt seen again untill i bottled. The beer still turned out great and is getting better. (even though I'm slapping myself right now for drinking almost 1/2 of it while it was still "green")

I agree with the "jumping in" part. I did a bunch of reading and then just bought the kit, some ingredients, and whammo-I was brewing! That first batch was fantastic and got me hooked. I drank it before it could age too long, though. Wish I had saved some, though I say that for most of my brews.

ya man... throw caution to the wind, clean everything with a sanitzer, boil a simple extract kit, learn from experience. You'll have questions along the way, which will prompt you to go find out the answers. Reading books always seemed like a waste of time cause there was nothing to relate the words to. Lol... believe it or not, I went through college with a 3.0+ average and rarely read a damn thing!!

I read Palmer and then followed the recipe that he uses in his beginner's chapter. Came out great. He only outlines the stuff that you "need" to know in the beginning, so that you can get going.

Back