Not a fan or Willamette in gluten free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale-e-chest

Reaction score
Ok I've now done 3 brews using Willamette as a flavouring hop and all have the same unplesant taste. All have been completely different brews all using different yeast and still the same underlying taste comes through.
I'll go through them

Fermentables
1. Sorghum extract with dark roasted buckwheat steeped
2. Sorghum, rice syrup, dark candi syrup
3. Malted/Mashed millet and small amount of sorghum and candi syrup

Yeast
1. S-05
2. Nottingham
3. Munich

I know the taste of sorghum and it's not that and there is very little in these brews anyway. The only other things that are similar are I use super alpha as a bittering hop (but I don't think it would be that), yeast nutrient, whirlfloc tablet and cascade for aroma.

I'm planning another brew with different hops to see if its it but has anyone else experienced bad flovours with willamette?

I'm not a big fan of Willamette, I always pick up an earthy, dirt-like quality. It's not just you. To make sure, try one of the same fermentables+yeast with a different hop. Can't go wrong with Cascade, or Hallertau, they're both quite different from Willamette.

Hmmm, I've never tried it in beer, but I tried unsuccessfully to grow some Willamette this summer.

Now I'm less bummed that they didn't take, thanks!

Great timing! I was about to try and brew a fat tire clone with Willamette. Any suggestions on replacements?

Well, I don't mean to say that Willamette is gross in all applications, I don't care for it, but lots of professional breweries use it (because it's cheap) It's derived from Fuggle, which I think has a superior flavor profile. Taste is all relative of course,

FT uses Willamette, Goldings and Target. Target is a high alpha bittering hop, Goldings and Willamette are moderate alpha flavor hops. I'd use Goldings, or Styrian Goldings, Fuggles, maybe Glacier. It all depends on what character you want, every hop is a little different. Goldings, Styrian Goldings, and Saaz are classic in anything Belgian inspired, these hops are expensive for pro brewers to use, but in our quantities it's only like a dollar more so it's worth it.
Glacier is a good generic hop for beers that don't need a strong hop character, clean bittering, kind of round, slightly fruity and inoffensive.

Way back when I was doing normal brewing Willamette was a favorite so I decided to go back to it in gluten free brews. Before that it was basically cascade and saaz so I think I might return to them

Back