My own christmas ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markgavin

Reaction score
Hi all. I just brewed my first recipe that was entirely my idea. I'd like to get your feed back.

Christmas Ale

3 POUNDS SPARKLING AMBER DME
3 POUNDS SPARKLING AMBER LME
1 POUND BRIESS SMOKE MALT
1 POUND DINGEMANS CARA 8 MALT
1 OUNCE WILLAMETTE HOPS
1 OUNCE SIMCOE HOPS
1 OUNCE BITTER ORANGE PEEL
2 OUNCE SWEET ORANGE PEEL
HANDFUL OF CINNAMON STICKS
3 OUNCES OF CUBED GINGER
1 TABLESPOON GROUND GINGER
2 TABLESPOONS NUTMEG
3 TABLESPOONS CINNAMON
5 POUNDS OF HONEY
2 TABLESPOONS WHOLE CLOVES
2 CUPS GRAPEFRUIT JUICE
1 PACKAGE OF YEAST

1. Put 2.5 gallons of water in pot.
2. Add 1.5 lbs. of DME and 1 oz. of sweet orange peel
3. Start boil and stir until DME is dissolved.
4. Once boil has started, steep grains for 45 minutes. Do not squeeze bag.
5. Add LME. Stir until dissloved. Do not let it burn on the bottom of pot.
6. Once water is boiling again, add rest of DME. Stir until dissolved.
7. Add half of the cinnamon sticks, the cubed ginger, grapefruit juice, cloves, and the Willamette hops. Boil for 30 minutes.
8. Add Honey and any left over flavoring agents. Stir until it comes to a boil.
9. Add Simcoe Hops. Boil for 20 minutes.
10. Terminate boil, cool wort, pitch yeast.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds interesting, but unless im wrong that seems very heavy on both spices and adjuncts. Im not trying to be a buzzkill here, just something to consider. It will probably take a while for this one to condition. If you decide to brew this one keep us updated!

I would agree that this seems like a LOT of extra stuff going on. I'm not suggesting that it won't be great... but I'm betting that this one will take a while to mellow.

I just recently brewed a winter spice beer and the advice I was given was to go light on the spices as they can be quite strong.

For a 4.5 gal batch I used 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/16 tsp ground clove, and 1/8 tsp of ground ginger.

I'm not sure if that's too light, but I'm told that on bottling day I can taste it and see if I should add a spice tea to it. I'm not sure how well that would work though. I'd more likely just add more next time so as not to mess it up.

Back