Schneider Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
man, tomorrow is "pint" night at the Ginger Man in Houston. you buy the beer, keep the glass (big whoop, i know). but, this week is Schneider glass night. can't get that beer around here and i need some brew ingredients anyway.....could make an excuse to get to H-town for the day....:rolleyes:

any-who, anyone had the Schneider Weisse before? good example??

Schneider Weisse - A well-known classic German hefeweizen, this beer has an amber colour (quite dark for the style due to the addition of some Vienna and dark malt to the mix of Bavarian barley and wheat malts) with a thick, foamy, incredibly solid and tenacious head. Its complex aroma consists of light fruit, a touch of spice (cloves and nutmeg) and maybe some vanilla. There is also a malty touch that seems to hint at the strength - at 5.4%, it is indeed at the stronger end of the style. On the palate it is quite spritzy, yet smooth and subtly spicy, with complex light fruit - apples, lemons, oranges, bananas and melons, with a pear-drop estery hint. It is fairly dry, but not especially bitter. Hops are discernible when the head is tasted, but are not a major feature of the palate. Finish is slightly sweeter and again quite malty, with the light, lemon-zesty fruit lingering in a smoothly cloying aftertaste. Overall this beer's classic status is well-deserved - it is smooth, complex and refreshing, with a hidden strength.

In other words - TASTES GREAT!! I've had plenty of them. Highly recommended.

i knew you'd come though on this one! i prefer the dunkelweizen's, but sounds like it may be to my liking.

do u have the German Wheat Beer book in the Classic Beer series of books?

homebrewer_99 said:
Yes, you know I do...:D

i managed to find one on amazon.com(used) for $5. i've been told it's out of print????? so is the Classic Beer series down to 7 ? :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
any-who, anyone had the Schneider Weisse before? good example??
My local specs usually has Schneider Weisse...I don't recall it really standing out that much over Franziskaner or Weihenstephaner, but it's been awhile.

Holler if you're gonna head over there today and we'll hook up.

This week I had a Franzi, a Weihenstephan, and a S-W. Maybe I should have had them back to back, I just thought they were all good wheats and my flavor memory isn't good enough to draw comparisons after a few days. The S-W was definitely a darker golden than either the Franzi or the Weihenstephan, and if I daresay it leant more towards clove than fruit & bubblegum. I'd go for a glass, especially if it's a hefe glass (although I imagine it's just a pint glass with the logo).

i've never seen the Schneider at the Beaumont Spec's but need to check the one downtown Houston next time i go.

it's the tall, weizen glass w/ the Schneider Weisse logo on it. it'd be a nice hefe or dunkel glass for the homebrew collection.

EP, what you got cook'n today?

so, your up to tell'n a few lies over a hefe or pint at the Ginger Man? all i need to do is go by DeFaclo's and p/u some ingredients. i wanted to stop by the Ginger Man to drink a Schneider and get a glass. then trek back to home....

damn good night EP, damn good night bro!

too bad you other members couldnt have join'd EP an I .....good night....

BeeGee said:
I'd go for a glass, especially if it's a hefe glass (although I imagine it's just a pint glass with the logo).

they are nice weizen glasses. i was pleasantly suprised!
P1190001.JPG

BeeGee said:
<-- officially jealous
nah! i'm sure you have a bar full of cool glasses.

i really like the dunkel glass, but nobody else was getting those. they all liked the regular hefe glass. should have p/u another!:rolleyes:

I have a couple of nice glasses, but nothing really special. The Flying Saucer here (the only place with glass night that I know of) only does pint glasses AFAIK, which is why I was guessing you would get pint glasses. Maybe I should doublecheck... OTOH, I never even go there anymore.

homebrewer_99 said:
Only in the USA will people accept (?) mediocrity based on a lack of knowledge and proper drinking ettiquette!:mad:

And what's up with the lemon wedge on the side. But I have seen people do this in Germany too.

BTW,DeRoux's Broux,
you have a grammar error in the name for your Weizen:
It should be "Ein Spitze Dunkeleizen" ;) ;)

But I guess this was intentional creativity.

I still have to come up with a name for my Doppelbock. This is usually the hardest part of brewing for me. I'm just not a creative kind of guy :mad:.

Kai

homebrewer_99 said:
That's a CRIME in Germany.

All Weizen's are served in Weizen glasses ONLY!!

Only in the USA will people accept (?) mediocrity based on a lack of knowledge and proper drinking ettiquette!:mad:
chill bro! they just call it pint night - it's a different glass every Wednesday, just like our Schneider glasses. they'll be traditional Erdinger Weizen glasses :D

Kai said:
And what's up with the lemon wedge on the side. But I have seen people do this in Germany too.

BTW,DeRoux's Broux,
you have a grammar error in the name for your Weizen:
It should be "Ein Spitze Dunkeleizen"

But I guess this was intentional creativity.

I still have to come up with a name for my Doppelbock. This is usually the hardest part of brewing for me. I'm just not a creative kind of guy.

Kai

no fruit in my beer, thank you very much! :D

HB 99 corrected the name....maybe the e wasn't supposed to be there? i dunno :confused: i'm a Cajun and ...."know nut'ting!" :cross: about German. (by the way, that's a bad Col. Klink rendetion)

DeRoux's Broux said:
i dunno :confused: i'm a Cajun and ...."know nut'ting!" :cross: about German. (by the way, that's a bad Col. Klink rendetion)
It was Sgt Schultz who knew nuthink. :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
no fruit in my beer, thank you very much! :D

HB 99 corrected the name....maybe the e wasn't supposed to be there? i dunno :confused: i'm a Cajun and ...."know nut'ting!" :cross: about German. (by the way, that's a bad Col. Klink rendetion)
If you read his post he's saying YOU have a misspelling...you left out the W...did George take it? DOH!!!:drunk:

Dunkelweizen...

homebrewer_99 said:
How'd you come up with "Just a Dunkelweizen"?

I'd name it "Einfach Dunkel Weiss" or "Simple Dark White":drunk: :D

got tired of my lowsy German :(
hope the dunkel comes out better than my crappy translations!

homebrewer_99 said:
I think you need an ATTITUDE adjustment! This round's on me!:drunk:

Hefe Wiezens all around! You betcha Beertender, only the original German glasses for me and my friends here.:D
WOO-HOO! I'M THERE DUDE!:drunk:

Back