SWMBO Passed the Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
... and so did I! I poured two glasses of brew - a Sierra Nevada Celebration, and my own IPA which was the "Hoppiness is an IPA" recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I then had her do a blind taste test, which made her very nervous.

Eventually, she tentatively said that 'that one' (mine) had a lot of good aroma, and better flavor, while the other (SN) was "just bitter".

She was very relieved when I revealed the identities of the brews.

In fairness to SN, I am sure that a commercial beer would have a hard time competing against a fresh, dry-hopped homebrew in the aroma category. I also understand that the two recipes are not really similar. I also feel that last year's Celebration Ale was better than this one.

In any case, my beer was the winner. I'm happy about that, for sure.

I would probably like yours better too if had to sleep w you ;) j/k

I personally don't think the SN Celebration is that great. I would pick a SmuttyNose Finestkind over it for sure.

Congrats! and I Love the idea... I shall tell my wife tonight that there will be a duel in the coming months. I challenge Stone Ruination for the honor of my Queen.

So who would have ended up sleeping on the couch if she didn't picked yours?

IPAs and the wife...that is a great story. My wife hates, as in does not like at all, any hoppy beer. She still tries them everytime though, just to make sure. Her typical comment of "It smells like cat pee and tastes like a x-mas tree." is always fun to hear...

FWIW she is a stout drinker in the cold 1/2 of the year and a wheat drinker in the warm 1/2.

FWIW she is a stout drinker in the cold 1/2 of the year and a wheat drinker in the warm 1/2.

Sounds like mine.

She never drank beer until we went to Germany in Sept. Now she's bringing home random porters and stouts like she did animals when she was in vet school.

So who would have ended up sleeping on the couch if she didn't picked yours?
I would have blamed Jamil! :)
She has a broad range of tastes where beer is concerned, which is great. She likes stouts, malty ales like Scottish and Marzens, and hoppy stuff like APA's and IPA's. So far she has liked most everything I have brewed, although she also likes stuff I won't be brewing, like berry alcopop. But, nobody's perfect.

IPAs and the wife...that is a great story. My wife hates, as in does not like at all, any hoppy beer. She still tries them everytime though, just to make sure. Her typical comment of "It smells like cat pee and tastes like a x-mas tree." is always fun to hear...

Here, Here!! My wife will not touch anything that smells of hops. I finally found something she likes; Winter Solstice from Anderson Valley Brewing Company...she also likes Summer Honey from Big Sky Brewing (Missoula).

Back