Kenmore 5.1 Keezer…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacksSpleen

Reaction score
Here is my contribution to hundreds of Keezer builds out there. I used ¾ x 7 ¼ MDF for the collar and 1 inch pink insulation to keep it cold (I didn’t think about moisture and MDF until I had put it together… ooops! I figure I can replace it cheap enough if the MDF suffers) I had to go with this 5.1 due to the space SWMBO had given me. BTW this freezer is W 27 ¼ X D 19 ½ X H 32 ¾ and comes with little casters on the bottom. The Sears website does not give accurate dimensions on this model. As you can see I’m able to pack in 3 pinlock kegs into this little dude with the co2 tank on the outside. I have a 20 pound tank in the closet and also a little 2.5 pounder that will fit inside if I ever want to make mobile. I had to offset the faucets because the keg that sits on the hump is too tall. I do have to remove the middle keg to get the one on left in and out because of the shanks which I’m sure will be PITA when I have to load full keg in. But not bad considering the space I had to work with. I’m open to any suggestion or criticism with this build. I’m looking to make the best I can.

IMG_3348%252520%252528600x800%252529.jpg

IMG_3350%252520%252528800x600%252529.jpg

IMG_3352%252520%252528600x800%252529.jpg

Yes sir it is the 19502/1950.

And unfortunately there is no way to fit 4 cornies in it. I made cardboard cutouts of both ball and pin locks before I ordered the kegs and 3 was the max.

Thanks for the reply, saved me a trip to sears

If I didn't have everything for 4 taps/kegs id be all over this one for $89 refurb

Your Setup looks great

Looks nice! It's not deep enough for the kegs to fit in there without the collar, correct?

Thanks!

Yeah you definitely need a collar, only one will fit in the well and one on the hump. I made a shelf for the one in middle.

Thanks!

Yeah you definitely need a collar, only one will fit in the well and one on the hump. I made a shelf for the one in middle.

Cool, I'm currently wrestling with whether I want to make mine out of a chest freezer or a mini-fridge. I was kinda surprised to find that they are both right about in the same price range.

I only really want to fit 2 kegs so a mini fridge would do it, but I'm leaning towards a freezer so that I'd at least have the option to possibly upgrade to more someday.

Yeah I was in the same boat when I started this build. I decided to go with a freezer because I read somewhere that the freezer was more efficient in keeping the cold in. The cool air stays on the bottom when the lid is opened and they are rated for much colder temps so they are insulted a little better... It also fit perfectly in the little tiny space I was given.

I also found a quick use for the third keg, my wife loves sparkling water!

IMO get the biggest you can otherwise you will be thinking of what could have been.

Oh yeah don't forget to add the temp controller in to cost of the freezer build...

Yup that's it.

You will need a collar though to get the second one in there as it would need to sit on the hump. I was also able to talk them down a little on the price I got it for 139.99 new.

You may want to look into the magic chef 5.0 cu one as it might allow you fit 2 kegs on the bottom without a collar. http://www.lowes.com/pd_75729-33112...entURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=chest+freezer&facetInfo=

I would have gone with this one if it would have fit between the stairs an wall. Because I think it may be possible to fit 4 kegs in it. But don't hold me to that.

Hey man,

It's funny that you mention that. SWMBO and I checked out Lowe's this afternoon and found the "Holiday" 5 cu ft one that you linked above. I almost bought it on the spot but I came home and did some more research first and ended up ordering it with free delivery from the local store.

Turned around after that and ordered 2 ball lock kegs, CO2, regulator, temp controller, etc, etc, from Keg Connection.

I think that freezer will be perfect because, like you said, it can fit two kegs without a collar (I measured) so I can use it for cooling my two kegs immediately and work on the collar as time allows. Perfect for me because I have a big camping trip with the boys coming up in a little over a month so now I will be able to bring chilled, kegged homebrew with me which will be great.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I appreciate the insight :D

Nice, I have a GE set up just like yours. 3 kegs is definitely the max with the CO2 tank, but for me that's plenty of beer on tap at one time!
I actually bought it originally for a fermentation fridge, but I quickly started using it for kegs and now I don't have a fermentation fridge anymore. They aren't as good for fermenting because its such a pain to lift carboys out of them.
I got mine from home depot, I don't remember how much it was, but they are pretty cheap.

I am going to convert this exact freezer into a 3 tap keezer. Would you be able to arrange the kegs so that you could fit 3 ball lock cornies and a 5lb CO2 tank inside?

I was hoping to be able to fit two cornies on the bottom and then build a collar to fit the other corny and the CO2 tank on the hump but it looks like I won't have room for that from your pics?

Sorry about getting back to you late, we were out of town. The inside measures 15" X 22" and it is 18" deep on the hump. The hump is like 15" X 9" and at the deepest spot it is about 26" deep.

Hope that helps.

I was trying to figure out your gas setup, I think I got it, it just threw me off. One line going from gauge manifold directly to keg, then one going from gauge manifold to block manifold and distributing same psi totwo kegs.

Hey if you had some way for space you can always take the plug out of the block and add a valve/gashose/quick coupler and you would have a forth. I just did this to my two way manifold yesterday. I had two running of one gauge and just changed it to run three kegs off of same manifold.

The MDF is holding up fine as of now, I'd say go for it if you got it. I did paint it with an exterior paint to seal it. The exterior paint will flex a little more and has more of a mold inhibitor in it which sounded right for the application. I would seal it someway if you decide to use it though.

Thanks for the tip BARBQ you got it right. I will definitely go that route when I upgrade my freezer and add another keg. Right now its working perfectly as I'am able to force carb one keg and keep the other 2 at serving which saves me from futzing with the gauges too much. But thanks for the tip.

Dave

The MDF is holding up fine as of now, I'd say go for it if you got it. I did paint it with an exterior paint to seal it. The exterior paint will flex a little more and has more of a mold inhibitor in it which sounded right for the application. I would seal it someway if you decide to use it though.

Thanks for the tip BARBQ you got it right. I will definitely go that route when I upgrade my freezer and add another keg. Right now its working perfectly as I'am able to force carb one keg and keep the other 2 at serving which saves me from futzing with the gauges too much. But thanks for the tip.

Dave

I just bought this freezer off of CL. It was smaller than anticipated I thought it might be a 3.5 cu ft but the tag says 19502 so it must be 5 cu ft.

I noticed it fit 2 kegs without a collar. Do you think I could just throw a tap tower on it?

Any tips on the keever build process?

20160216_191217.jpg

20160216_193602.jpg

Ahh... Looks like you got 2 ball locks to fit in the bottom there. I'm still using pin locks which are a little fatter and can only fit one in the bottom and had to build a shelf and collar to get the other two to fit.

I don't see why you could not just throw a 2 tap tower on it, you may need to offset it tad based on where the connectors come out at.

This thing has been working great since I first put it together and I have not had to change it from the original design.

Good luck!

Back