Fermenting temperature accuracy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
The room I leave my fermentors in is a middle room in my house with no windows and plaster (almost like concrete) walls. The floors are hardwood on cement slab. I keep my house anywhere between 68-71 degrees. The fermometer strips I have on my glass carboys both read 69-70. Are these accurate for my fermening temp or are they telling me the temp of the room which is different from my actual fermenting temp?:mug:

Try taking a temp with a thermometer and see how it corresponds with the strip temp...then adjust accordingly. Sounds like you have a decent temperature profile with the need for raising or lowering just a few degrees based on style. Cool...

Most likely reading a little closer to room temp than beer temp.try taping a piece of good insulating material over the temp strip for a couple hours, then reading.

The room I leave my fermentors in is a middle room in my house with no windows and plaster (almost like concrete) walls. The floors are hardwood on cement slab. I keep my house anywhere between 68-71 degrees. The fermometer strips I have on my glass carboys both read 69-70. Are these accurate for my fermening temp or are they telling me the temp of the room which is different from my actual fermenting temp?:mug:

I've been using the strips you put on an aquarium, and with my room temps in the low to mid 70s, and the fermenter in a swamp cooler, I've been getting readings in the low 60s. Obviously the strip is not in contact with the cold water, just the plastic bucket, so I would think that they're providing a pretty accurate reading of fermentation temp.:mug:

my strips seem to read one to two degrees lower than the actual wort during active fermentation ... when fermentation has calmed down they are usually dead on with my regular thermometer..

Back