Glass top range and stove top all-grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
We've got an old glass top range and I'm in the middle of doing a stove top all-grain batch for the first time. I can't find in the manual anything about a weight limit for the glass top...any one have any experience with that. I'm looking at mashing in a 5 gallon aluminum pot that weighs about 4.5lbs, using 3.6 gallons of water and adding 11.5 lbs of grain? Should I be worried about the glass? TIA

I boil 6.5 gallons on mine and have never worried about it. I just wish it had more nuts so it didn't take 45 minutes get to boil though. Going to be going to propane when it gets warm enough outside at night.

I'd have to agree. We had an Amana radar range with the smooth top,& it held up just fine to large pots of stew & the like for 8-10 people. So 5 or 6 gallons of mash should be ok.

Yep, it took the 12 lbs of grain like a champ....now if I can get through this first all grain, I'll feel like a champ. Mash done and in the kettle now...I missed my target pre-boil gravity by .003 points low, but I am also almost a gallon over my target boil volume, so I guess in the end I came out pretty darn close. Thanks!

YOu are lucky. the glass top I had would not run the burner long enough to boil 4 gallons. pot too wide for burner so a temperature sensor cut the burner off before the glass top could be 'damaged'.

Malkore...I wasn't trying to boil, just mash in at 168F, so that worked out. My glass top can barely boil 3 gallons of water and it takes almost an hour to do that. Your stove must be newer, ours is from the early 90's...back then I don't think they needed stupid safety sensors lol.

this happened to my boss' glass stove top...not because of the weakness of the glass but because the stove top wasn't built with enough support.

Fell right through into the cabinets during mid boil....flame was still going...hot wort everywhere...craziest thing I've ever seen.

photo_4_5.JPG

Wife is stoked she has a Viking now. :ban:

Latest posts

Back