A Problem at the LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenhead

Reaction score
Soooo... I brewed beer on Wednesday, as I posted in another thread about a good experience, this is a thread about a bad experience in the same brew session. I just got a little scale to measure hops in an attempt to be more accurate and more consistent. I had rushed to the LHBS that morning to get the ingredients for this brew because I had people coming over to be introduced to AG brewing techniques, so I was in a hurry.

After mashing, sparging, and starting the boil I went to measure out the first hops addition. Well here's where it gets sad... I had bought 2oz. of Northern Brewer, which at the brew shop the sales guy had told me was actually North Down because "It's practically the same stuff." I was in a hurry so I didn't respond to that bit of subterfuge but when I was weighing out the first addition, 1.5oz. of the above hops, it turned out that neither of the 1oz. bags of pellets actually weighed 1oz. They weighed out at .67oz. and .68oz.

So now not only had they misrepresented the hops but they had sold me 2 x 2/3 of an oz. for full price. I didn't even have enoough hops for the hops addition they had been purchased for! Now I have been going to this LHBS for a while now and 2yrs ago they opened they're own brewery. The service has gone down in quality since then. If they are out of something they don't really care... I mean it's one thing not to have Saaz but not to have Notti or S-04... that's just plain ridiculous!

In a shopping session a few months ago I was getting ready to make pale with Maris Otter. I got half way into weighing out ingredients and the bin of Marris ran out. I asked for more and was told they were out and I would have to use American 2 row. I wanted Marris, I didn't want to substitute.

I guess what I am looking for here is a little guidance. I have helped brew at thier brewery. I consider the owner a friend but I am getting tired of being disappointed when I go to get ingredients. Recently I have been going up to Denver and shopping at one of the brew shops, a shop which has a brewery attached to it (a hint to those that live in the region). They seem able to keep it together.

Any thoughts?

Oh by the way. Happy New Year to all the HBTers' and their family!

Todd

If you have not had this conversation with the owner, tell him your frustration. There may be an acceptable explanation, or not.
As far as the underweight hops go, I would make sure to bring that up and allow him the chance to make it right. If he doesn't jump at the chance, ask him to make it right. If he does not, take your business elsewhere and tell him why.
Give him the chance to fix it.

Since the amounts of both bags are so almost exactly off by the same amount, I'm guessing a scale problem rather than an intentional act. Sounds almost like someone forgot to tare the scale after putting on the container they measured the hops in.

Tell the owner face to face. Call ahead to find a time. More then likely he/she has no idea the lack of attention that is translating into a bad customer experience. If he/she is worth your business you will be thanked for your past biz and for voicing your concern. If not... it's a drive but the new Stomp Them Grapes has both great service and is well stocked. It's also right off I-70 so easy access.

My friend in Colorado Springs had this same problem with the shop (I knew which one you meant as soon as you said they opened a brewery). He hasn't been back since. He started using Rebelbrewer and swears by them. I'll actually be brewing in the Springs with him on tuesday, can't wait!

Soooo... I brewed beer on Wednesday, as I posted in another thread about a good experience, this is a thread about a bad experience in the same brew session. I just got a little scale to measure hops in an attempt to be more accurate and more consistent. I had rushed to the LHBS that morning to get the ingredients for this brew because I had people coming over to be introduced to AG brewing techniques, so I was in a hurry.

After mashing, sparging, and starting the boil I went to measure out the first hops addition. Well here's where it gets sad... I had bought 2oz. of Northern Brewer, which at the brew shop the sales guy had told me was actually North Down because "It's practically the same stuff." I was in a hurry so I didn't respond to that bit of subterfuge but when I was weighing out the first addition, 1.5oz. of the above hops, it turned out that neither of the 1oz. bags of pellets actually weighed 1oz. They weighed out at .67oz. and .68oz.

So now not only had they misrepresented the hops but they had sold me 2 x 2/3 of an oz. for full price. I didn't even have enoough hops for the hops addition they had been purchased for! Now I have been going to this LHBS for a while now and 2yrs ago they opened they're own brewery. The service has gone down in quality since then. If they are out of something they don't really care... I mean it's one thing not to have Saaz but not to have Notti or S-04... that's just plain ridiculous!

In a shopping session a few months ago I was getting ready to make pale with Maris Otter. I got half way into weighing out ingredients and the bin of Marris ran out. I asked for more and was told they were out and I would have to use American 2 row. I wanted Marris, I didn't want to substitute.

I guess what I am looking for here is a little guidance. I have helped brew at thier brewery. I consider the owner a friend but I am getting tired of being disappointed when I go to get ingredients. Recently I have been going up to Denver and shopping at one of the brew shops, a shop which has a brewery attached to it (a hint to those that live in the region). They seem able to keep it together.

Any thoughts?

Todd

Yeah, the scale could be off... but at the same time, it sounds like it has gone downhill. Try living where I do, where the closest thing to a LHBS:

- Does not carry ANY hops
- Carry's only Cooper ale yeast
- Does not carry ANY grains... NONE
- Only has light DME, and only has 1.5 KG in stock at one time.
- Will not do bulk orders at ANY discount
- Thinks using hops makes beer 'stronger', and has only put them in the primary before filtering into a secondary.

I did one of those "Festa Brew" kits at this place, and out of curiosity I wanted to see how many bottles I got (understand, I am the complete opposite of an anal customer... I am pretty much the most easy going bloke in person you will ever meet). The guy says something along the lines of "The last guy who was so picky to count all his bottles I told to go somewhere else next time".

This is the typical backwoods crap I deal with in my area. I have to order from the US for a decent price on hops, even AFTER shipping! The only local place I can get my grains from is a small brewery (bless their hearts), but god forbid if they ever go under/move I willl have to order my grains in the mail also.

I feel your pain, I really do. It almost sounds like a swell place compared to my choices, though :(

Oh well! I love brewing beer, thats for sure! :rockin:

Try living where I do, where the closest thing to a LHBS:

- Does not carry ANY hops
- Carry's only Cooper ale yeast
- Does not carry ANY grains... NONE
- Only has light DME, and only has 1.5 KG in stock at one time.
- Will not do bulk orders at ANY discount
- Thinks using hops makes beer 'stronger', and has only put them in the primary before filtering into a secondary.
That sounds awful. Have you tried online suppliers like this one?

That sounds awful. Have you tried online suppliers like this one?

Yes, thank you I have looked at that supplier. After a month or so of searching and price hunting I finally have a good system of suppliers going.

Hopsdirect - Even with international shipping, the hops are still cheaper than any Canadian supplier.

I use 3 canadian online stores depending on what I need and for what price... the link you sent is 1, mashingheads.com is another, and there is 1 more i cannot remember the site (im at work). They all have different products and such, and I have had decent service so far.

Its just too bad that there are about 8 "LHBS" in town, and they only cater to boxed beer-kits in store... nobody caters to the homebrewer. Are we that rare of a breed?

Anyway, do not mean to hijack thread. If it were not so challenging to get top quality ingredients, it would not be half as much fun! Or so I tell myself...

Yes, thank you I have looked at that supplier. After a month or so of searching and price hunting I finally have a good system of suppliers going.

Hopsdirect - Even with international shipping, the hops are still cheaper than any Canadian supplier.

I use 3 canadian online stores depending on what I need and for what price... the link you sent is 1, mashingheads.com is another, and there is 1 more i cannot remember the site (im at work). They all have different products and such, and I have had decent service so far.

Its just too bad that there are about 8 "LHBS" in town, and they only cater to boxed beer-kits in store... nobody caters to the homebrewer. Are we that rare of a breed?

Anyway, do not mean to hijack thread. If it were not so challenging to get top quality ingredients, it would not be half as much fun! Or so I tell myself...
I feel your pain. Shipping within/to Canada has become so expensive that even mail order shopping for homebrew ingredients has almost become prohibitively expensive for many things.

And yes, those damn beer-in-a-bag kits have sucked the life out of homebrewing in Canada. The problem is, the darn kits (like FestaBrew or The BrewHouse) are so good that the average guy making beer in the basement would be crazy to try all-grain or extract brewing when you can make fine beer without even a pot. The Wine Stores (I don't call them LHBSs anymore) that sell them love those kits too, because they are more or less foolproof to anyone that can ferment a wine kit. Who needs staff that knows how to brew anymore! :(

Anyways, I can't find them on the web right now, so perhaps (sadly) they are no more, but I used to shop at Askims in Victoria. They were great. Do you know about them?

I feel your pain. Shipping within/to Canada has become so expensive that even mail order shopping for homebrew ingredients has almost become prohibitively expensive for many things.

And yes, those damn beer-in-a-bag kits have sucked the life out of homebrewing in Canada. The problem is, the darn kits (like FestaBrew or The BrewHouse) are so good that the average guy making beer in the basement would be crazy to try all-grain or extract brewing when you can make fine beer without even a pot. The Wine Stores (I don't call them LHBSs anymore) that sell them love those kits too, because they are more or less foolproof to anyone that can ferment a wine kit. Who needs staff that knows how to brew anymore! :(

Anyways, I can't find them on the web right now, so perhaps (sadly) they are no more, but I used to shop at Askims in Victoria. They were great. Do you know about them?

Hear hear. That FestaBrew 'bock' that I made, was so awesome it went super fast. It is literally all grain wort, sealed in a bag, when you get it. All you do is add yeast.

I have not heard of Askims, but I did find them by searching the name... not a website but an address and phone number. I will try calling, thanks for the tip. Its only 45 mins away, and may be worth visiting.

I should start my own company! I have been seriously considering this... I would want to sell online though so save on retail location, of which I know nothing about doing. Maybe one day

Any thoughts?

Todd

Sorry, I'm a little late to the thread.

Sorry to hear about all your issues. Have you tried Old West on Weber and Pikes Peak? I usually shop in the store you're having issues with because they are so darn close. I've been rinsing my yeast though, and I think I'm going to start buying hops by the pound and grain by the 50# sack, so all I'll need from them is specialty grains and priming sugar.

They were nice enough to say that they aren't going to ask where my grain came from when I use their mill. Haven't tried it yet, but I thought that was a good offer.

Any thoughts?

Either drive the 1+ hour up to Denver to get your supplies from one of the many reputable LHBS stores or mail order things. Montanaandy

I've never used Northdown hops, but several online homebrew suppliers list Northern Brewer as an acceptable substitute, and all of them list an AA% similar to Northern Brewer. That doesn't sound like subterfuge to me.

Regardless, you need to go back to the store and confront the owner/manager directly about the incorrect quantities (assuming your scale is accurate).

To check your scale, put a small kitten on the scale, hit tare, then inflate the kitten with 1 cubic foot of room temperature air (60 degrees F). Your scale should now read 0.0807 lbs.

Back