• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Perhaps selling my rig (don't panic, I'm not getting out of the hobby)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Like the title says, I am considering selling my current rig. I am very happy with it, but would sell it and start over fresh if I could sell it without taking a loss.

First let me lay out my reasons for this idea:

1. I have my dream brewery completely designed now and know how I want everything.

2. I have achieved proof of concept on my current system and love the way it works.

3. I have had my current system (or most pieces of it) for about 3 years and built it as I grew into the hobby, therefore some holes or outlets are not arranged exactly how I want them.

4. Selling this system would allow me to buy the same pieces but arrange them exactly how I want. I am kind of anal about design stuff, if you don't believe me check out my brewery build thread. That said, it is not worth selling it unless I can repurchase everything and get brewing again.

Now, you may be asking yourself, 'why would I buy used equipment when I could buy all that stuff and assemble it myself?' Perhaps you have the time and the tools to do so, but if you don't this may be an easy opportunity for you to get a nice system with instant gratification.

But it is used! Aha, therein lies the beauty of an ALL STAINLESS system. I will clean this up before selling it and it will be essentially brand new or at least as good as it was the day I got it.

Now we all know the proof is in the pudding, so without further ado....

CIMG2813.JPG

CIMG2814.JPG

CIMG2830.JPG

CIMG2816.JPG

CIMG2818.JPG

CIMG2819.JPG

CIMG2820.JPG

CIMG2821.JPG

CIMG2825.JPG

Basically what you see is (from left to right) HLT, MLT, BK.

The HLT has a thermo and sight glass with an all stainless diptube valve assembly.

The MLT has a ss false bottom, and a stainless top return (not int he pics). It also includes a Blichmann Brewmometer.

The BK includes a hard-mounted stainless chiller (50' x 1/2") a ss diptube assembly, a ss whirlpool return, and a brewmometer.

I have two march pumps mounted to the stand now (not shown) that are the polysulphone type like this:

0101958.jpg

The CFC you see is a 25' copper in copper 1/2" chiller that I use in addition to my hard-mounted coil. This setup chills 13 gallon batches from boil to lager temps in 12 minutes with 55º groundwater.

All connections are tri-clover 1.5" connections. I love them.

I will sell the stand with it and the burners, basically a full functioning brewery.

Well, there you have it. That is the brewery. Ask questions if you have them. Now for the real question.... price.

Like I said, I have no reason to sell this if I can't rebuild with what I sell it for. I am willing to sell this for cost with no labor costs... and that comes to

$1,800.

I know it sounds like a lot. But that is what it cost. I don't want to get beat up over price, I really don't care if it is too much for you to spend or if you think you could make the same system for $100. This is how much I spent to get there and how much I will need to get back to here.

My hope is that this will help someone in need of a system and help me rearrange some holes and misc stuff.

Cheers,
Justin

:EDIT: New lowered price of $1450.00

I just bought a new system very similar to this about 5 days ago, it's not even here yet. (Granted, it had much cheaper fittings and valves) Really too bad, though I am not sure shipping this would be too cheap either.

Good luck!

Good luck BJ... I have about $2000 into mine, but luckily through all of its lives, I have been able to rework old designs to suit the new.

Good luck with the sale! BJ is a good guy... Id send someone his way, if I knew someone.

Hard not to sell used goods w/o taking some type of loss. Nice setup though! Good luck!

I agree. This posting is really only for someone who doesn't have time, tools, or the skills to build their own rig but wants one all the same. I did not add any labor cost to this sale so it is reduced from anything you could buy off a shelf. Like I said though, if I don't sell it I really won't be sad, just figured it could turn into a win-win for me and someone looking for something similar.

Thanks for the endorsements guys :mug:

If you know anyone looking for something similar, send 'em my way. I don't know what shipping would be but we could probably figure something out.

I'm interested, but now isn't the right time for me. I'll talk to Bob, though, and see if he vetoes me right away or not.

I assume that I'll get a hands-on how-to, and a couple of beers out of the deal?

Hey Yoop! Don't think I haven't seen you lurking around these kind of threads :D

I am in no rush whatsoever to sell this. Talk to Bob, wear something sexy, and we'll talk when you have time. lol

Seriously, I am not in a rush at all. If it works out, great!

Of course We can do a brewday and share some beers. It is a pretty slick system to use IMO, I think you would be happy with it.

Hey Yoop! Don't think I haven't seen you lurking around these kind of threads :D

I am in no rush whatsoever to sell this. Talk to Bob, wear something sexy, and we'll talk when you have time. lol

Seriously, I am not in a rush at all. If it works out, great!

Of course We can do a brewday and share some beers. It is a pretty slick system to use IMO, I think you would be happy with it.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking into purchasing something. I'm getting tired of hauling everything up and down the stairs, and finding that I have a hard time lifting any batches bigger than 5 gallons. I will try to sweet talk Bob this weekend (we're going to "bird camp" until Sunday).

Damn, after building my system and going through all the headaches I would buy this in a heartbeat if I was doing it again.

I will keep my ears out for anyone looking.

Do you guys think it would be wrong for me to list this on Craigslist at a raised price. I was thinking $2100.00 on CL. I would never want a profit from my homebrew club, but I feel no allegiance to random people from my area... maybe I should and we are all homebrewers...

What do you guys think? Or should I just leave it posted here?

What do you guys think? Or should I just leave it posted here?

As a marketer, I would say the larger the market, the higher the price you can ask for. Not only that, but someone will only pay what it is worth to them, so you might as well ask.

As a homebrewer, I would say that any homebrewer I would be worried finding non-price parity, would be someone that would call you out and buy it for $1800 anyway!

My only concern if I were you would be if you want to 'keep it in the family' and go visit your system now and again. :p

My thoughts -

1. You are obviously not a used car salesman!(compliment I think) Polish those kegs (Bobby M style) or at least get everything really clean before posting photo's. "I will clean this up before selling it "

2. For HBT maybe post an itemized list of everything with prices, not to be sold sep. just for help in analyzing the deal. For CL I might skip the pricing part.

Having built my system this year I know how much time & energy (and blood) went into putting it together. Good luck with it hope you find a buyer soon.

My thoughts -

1. You are obviously not a used car salesman!(compliment I think) Polish those kegs (Bobby M style) or at least get everything really clean before posting photo's. "I will clean this up before selling it "

I would except it is not worth cleaning it up to be all super shiny new like unless I am selling it. Which I don't have to do. If you have seen cleaned up stainless, it will look like that. I am not willing to polish the kegs. If you wanted to pay for my time to do that, the price of this rig would likely double. I do not want to charge for labor (that was the idea) so I will not be adding any cost by polishing. It will be clean and purdy for whoever decides to buy it, if they ever do.

2. For HBT maybe post an itemized list of everything with prices, not to be sold sep. just for help in analyzing the deal. For CL I might skip the pricing part.

I considered this as well. However, after seeing many itemized lists for sale here before I am not willing to deal with hecklers about how I could have found x-item for $40 cheaper and it isn't worth paying for that.... blah blah. You know what I mean, it isn't a knock on anyone or the group. I am just saying, I don't need to sell this, so I am not willing to hangle over prices I could have found. I think the research I did in buying all this stuff was pretty extensive and you can trust that I found good prices, or not buy it.

I really hope I don't sound harsh. For those who don't know me well, I really am a nice and accommodating guy, I just don't want my spur of the moment idea to turn into a headache. If I can help someone out and start over at the same time, that would be great.

It seems to me that the hardest sell is the additional cost associated with all the triclovers. It's an upgrade most builders of a system of this variety would not buy. Good luck selling though. I'm sure someone wants a turnkey.

Well I just listed it on craigslist milwaukee for $2000.00 If any member with at least 10 posts comes and says hello on here they will get it for the $1,800.00 instead of the 2k listed on CL.

Now I will have to deal with the masses, but it would be worth it for $200.00. :mug:

I panicked when I saw this system on Milwaukee's craigslist. I saw Oconomowoc and a large description, and immediately thought of your posts. Too bad I don't have the cash to buy it, glad to see you're not dropping the hobby.

(Found the listing independently of HBT)

I'm really excited for your new build! I will be anxiously awaiting your progress. I am in the middle of building the system that you inspired with your designs (whirlpooling and double immersion). It's coming along nicely and I'm so stoked! Thank you for the help so far and good luck!

Cheers

Don't get too exited. If anyone actually wants to buy it... then I would pretty much be in the same spot, just with some slight modifications. My progress is always slow because I work on a budget that allows me to spend about $50-75 a month on brewing stuff. As you can imagine, a build of this scale takes a while at that rate ;)

I am glad you found my design useful! I can't wait to see some of your pics.

:mug:

bump....

Do you guys think anyone will actually buy this? If not I will stop bumping it. It doesn't make sense for me to lower the price, so if you all think this is too high let me know and I will let this die a peaceful and dignified death.

3. I have had my current system (or most pieces of it) for about 3 years and built it as I grew into the hobby, therefore some holes or outlets are not arranged exactly how I want them.

4. Selling this system would allow me to buy the same pieces but arrange them exactly how I want. I am kind of anal about design stuff, if you don't believe me check out my brewery build thread. That said, it is not worth selling it unless I can repurchase everything and get brewing again.

Why not just keep what you are going to buy again and sell the rest?

It seems to me the fittings are very costly, but also something you are looking to keep. Pump as well? So why not sell the kegs off to someone that could fit them into their system but can't or doesn't want to buy a whole system. It seems to me you could unload everything individually fairly easily if you were willing to do it.

You have probably thought of this and have a good reason for not doing so. I'm just thinking out loud in attempt to get your perfect system underway and in a build thread!:rockin:

bump....

Do you guys think anyone will actually buy this? If not I will stop bumping it. It doesn't make sense for me to lower the price, so if you all think this is too high let me know and I will let this die a peaceful and dignified death.

BK,

IMHO a used brew rig is alot like an used automobile. If you were to dissamble the car and sell it as parts, it would be easier to sell the parts and you would make more money than if you were trying to sell the car whole.

I am not going to tell you what to do. I am however going to tell you what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would sell it as pieces and use the money to start buying parts for your dream brewery. Thanks for listening.

Are you still selling reg. Where are you located, and if I where to buy can I pick up or will you deliver.

Like the title says, I am considering selling my current rig. I am very happy with it, but would sell it and start over fresh if I could sell it without taking a loss.

First let me lay out my reasons for this idea:

1. I have my dream brewery completely designed now and know how I want everything.

2. I have achieved proof of concept on my current system and love the way it works.

Now, you may be asking yourself, 'why would I buy used equipment when I could buy all that stuff and assemble it myself?' Perhaps you have the time and the tools to do so, but if you don't this may be an easy opportunity for you to get a nice system with instant gratification.

But it is used! Aha, therein lies the beauty of an ALL STAINLESS system. I will clean this up before selling it and it will be essentially brand new or at least as good as it was the day I got it.

Now we all know the proof is in the pudding, so without further ado....

CIMG2813.JPG

CIMG2814.JPG

CIMG2830.JPG

CIMG2816.JPG

CIMG2818.JPG

CIMG2819.JPG

CIMG2820.JPG

CIMG2821.JPG

CIMG2825.JPG

Basically what you see is (from left to right) HLT, MLT, BK.

The HLT has a thermo and sight glass with an all stainless diptube valve assembly.

The MLT has a ss false bottom, and a stainless top return (not int he pics). It also includes a Blichmann Brewmometer.

The BK includes a hard-mounted stainless chiller (50' x 1/2") a ss diptube assembly, a ss whirlpool return, and a brewmometer.

I have two march pumps mounted to the stand now (not shown) that are the polysulphone type like this:

0101958.jpg

The CFC you see is a 25' copper in copper 1/2" chiller that I use in addition to my hard-mounted coil. This setup chills 13 gallon batches from boil to lager temps in 12 minutes with 55º groundwater.

All connections are tri-clover 1.5" connections. I love them.

I will sell the stand with it and the burners, basically a full functioning brewery.

Well, there you have it. That is the brewery. Ask questions if you have them. Now for the real question.... price.

Like I said, I have no reason to sell this if I can't rebuild with what I sell it for. I am willing to sell this for cost with no labor costs... and that comes to

$1,800.

I know it sounds like a lot. But that is what it cost. I don't want to get beat up over price, I really don't care if it is too much for you to spend or if you think you could make the same system for $100. This is how much I spent to get there and how much I will need to get back to here.

My hope is that this will help someone in need of a system and help me rearrange some holes and misc stuff.

Cheers,
Justin

It is still for sale. I live in Oconomowoc which is about 30 minutes west of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

I can deliver but it will be expensive and I was quoted up to about $600. It could be less, but it could be that much.

I would be willing to meet you a reasonable driving distance away from me. Maybe an hour each way would be the farthest I would go. Where are you located?

In another thread- Bobby_M made a comment about selling for a bit of a loss in order to get the project moving... and I think I am listening to him.

I am willing to sell this for $1450. Does that sweeten the deal for anyone?

Not sure how much Tri-clovers are, but you could remove teh tri-clovers and save them for your next rig, and replace with brass QDs. Then you could reduce teh price by the saving to sweeten the deal without incurring any loss.

Just and idea.... Sweet setup, but im looking forward to version 2.1!

Pol, seriously.... give us a hint on what you are planning, the anticipation is killing me!

Not sure how much Tri-clovers are, but you could remove teh tri-clovers and save them for your next rig, and replace with brass QDs. Then you could reduce teh price by the saving to sweeten the deal without incurring any loss.

Just and idea.... Sweet setup, but im looking forward to version 2.1!

Pol, seriously.... give us a hint on what you are planning, the anticipation is killing me!

:off: I mean, I wish I could, well... it will make beer consistently:off:

Back