March Pump Set Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hi
My March pump 809 arrived and I now want to set it up. I need a bit of help doing so as I understand there are issues with priming.

First of all, I want to include a ball valve in the operation so I can slow the flow down. Do I put the valve on the, "In" or the, "Out" side of the pump?

Secondly, I will screw it to the leg of my current wooden brew stand and use the stand to gravity feed my Igloo cooler mash tun. The boil kettle and the HLT will both have their own propane Turkey fryer burners set on the floor near the brew stand. My first application is to simply move sparge water to the mash tun using the pump. From there, I will recirculate the wort using the pump, then gravity feed to the boiler until I am more comfortable with the pump.

I know I must have the pump below the bottom level of the HLT. I have heard people say that the, "In" port should be arranged so it points directly to the floor.

Does this sound correct to you folks? TY

Here is mine, works great. Have it below the source, but not any lower than needed, the more head it has, the poorer the performance.

Also, recommend using 1/2" plumbing... dont restric the flow, again, poor performance.

Always place the valve on the OUT let.

Orientation of the pump... well, mine is not conventional, but I can prime it in 10 seconds... so?

DSCN0989.JPG

Back