How much fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylegate

Reaction score
About how much fruit in general should you use during Secondary when making a fruit flavored beer? I'm talking pureed now. I know it will be different depending on your tastes, etc. But how many pounds per gallon are we talking in genneral?

It probably depends on the fruit. Some have more dominant flavors than others. Blueberry doesn't seem to last but I have a raspberry ale that I bottled in April that still has a pronounced raspberry flavor. I usually use somewhere around three or four pounds for the typical five gallon batch. I've not used less, but I suspect that if you go much lower you will be bordering on excessive subtlety. More than four pounds and you could forget that there is beer under there somewhere.

SteveM said:
It probably depends on the fruit. Some have more dominant flavors than others. Blueberry doesn't seem to last but I have a raspberry ale that I bottled in April that still has a pronounced raspberry flavor. I usually use somewhere around three or four pounds for the typical five gallon batch. I've not used less, but I suspect that if you go much lower you will be bordering on excessive subtlety. More than four pounds and you could forget that there is beer under there somewhere.

Yah, from what I've read here it seems to be 1 lb per gallon (again, acording to your taste preference). In meads it seems to be 3 lbs per gallon or more since they are suppose to be much more sweet then beer of course. What I want is a beer with a cheery flavor in there, not a cherry soda with a slight beer flavor :D

Back