Pacific NW Brewday III: The Reckoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
Hey all, now that I'm settled into my house, I got the space for a brewday get together. Who's with me? We can brew up some batches o' beer, get drunk, BBQ up some meatses, and have a grand ol time about it.

Location: My house in SE Portland. PM for address if you're interested.

When: 3/28 at noon.

Who's invited: Everyone's invited who can make it! Except you. Yes. You. Well, OK you can but just this once.

What do I bring? Bring whatever you want, or nothing at all! This is going to be a group brew session with turkey fryers and boilovers, but even if you haven't brewed a batch yet and just want to watch that's fine too.

I could potentially fly up, grab my old brew buckets from my dad's house in St. John's and hang with you all... just need to know when so I can schedule the day off and flights.

For now I'm going to strongly pencil everyone in for 3/28 at noon. How's that?

St. John's eh? That's where SWMBO lives, on Lombard across the street from the hippie store.

Depending on when it happens and what midterms/ insanely complex homework are the next week - I may make my way up there. Might even toss my hacked together brew system in the subaru so my rig can properly hold its head in shame...

Count me in for a maybe....I usually work on Saturdays. It would be great to meet some other local brewers! I'll let 'ya know in a week or two when I see my work schedule.

I would like to be a definitely maybe. We are preparing to do a huge remodel on our home. If permits are approved by then probably not, if the county makes me jump through hoops then there is an outside chance.

unable to attend.
I will be stuck training managers for a new store that week/weekend.

next time maybe.

St. John's eh? That's where SWMBO lives, on Lombard across the street from the hippie store.

yep. Family owns a former boarding house on Oswego.
It was a kick in the ass growing up in a huge house.

ASK ME ABOUT THE GHOST SOMETIME.

so is this still happening?
i have not been able to brew in over a year,
trying to finish getting everything together to do my first AG,
would be awesome to do it with others...

let me know what is going on...

Well, I'd like to make it happen but so far we have two definites and two maybes. So I dunno. I'm flexible on the date, if you guys want to do like April 4th or 11th that's fine too.

Don't know if you saw my update in the PNW group, but unless you change the date I won't be making it as I have duty that weekend.

Later in April would be the balls. I'd have another big payday, as the 15th is usually the tight one.

I'm a definite maybe...

New term starts on the 30th of this month - most instructors don't really pile it on the first month, so school theoretically won't get in the way. Wife's going out of town for a little over a week, but gets back late on Sunday the 19th (If she's in town and I show, she'll be my DD home, if not, I'll watch ya'll drink and I'll brew sober).

Will know more after the term starts...

I lost my job last week so now it's a matter of having the time but not the money. If it ain't one thing, it's the other. Count me in as a "no", probably. Unless I find a job before then....but then I'll still have the original problem of not being able to take a Saturday off.

I'd love to come, but I have approximately 1112905648934892649083523837 things to do around the house this spring.

I shouldn't be speaking for Evil, but I don't think you have to be brewing to join us. When we did this at my place last year only two us brewed and 3 or 4 others stopped by and hung out for the session. It's more of a chance to get folks in the area/region together.

Evil, you're not going to be able to please all, but April is pretty packed for me at this point if you decided to move the date. Your the boss.

I know I can't please all, but I do my best, kilted. Portlandbeergeek (and anyone else who was wondering), you don't have to brew if you stop by, this is more of a get together while some people brew. Plus there'll be free beer to drink in the backyard hanging out with a bunch of dudes while we play with fire. Who doesn't like that?? :drunk: I'm going to keep the date as 3/28 at noon since I forsee a lot of weekends of me working on the yard outside. Laurel, I expect to see you here or I'm cutting you out of the will!

Sure you can brew! I have an extra turkey fryer and propane. I've done full boils of extract on the fryer, it's way fun.

That's good to know ETOJ! I might just show up and hang out for a while. I'll bring some brews too. Will let 'ya know if I can make it, sounds like alot of fun!

I'd love to show up & hang out, but there's a few issues.

1. I live a couple thousand miles away in Texas
2. Can't get the kitchen pass
3. Spent all my money on the last bulk grain purchase

I almost had the weekend off and the ability to jet north for fun.
SWMBO even ok'd it.

But, corporate decided that I get to train the kitchen managers for a new store.
Dammit. No brewing in SE PDX for me.

Bright side is that the Corporate Training Division lurvs me and my mad skillz.

down side.

well...
no visit with family or friends.

bleh.

Hey Guys,

I'd love to make it down and catch up with you guys. But the 28th is packed for me. Maybe another time. Or if you're ever up north, definitely say hello. Have a great time.

~Brandon

Evil, we still on schedule for this? I've got two brews I want to do so I'm trying to do a little planing. One this weekend, one next....both this weekend....

Nice. You're about a mile down the road from my MIL.

Looks like I might be working (spring break - work temp jobs when I can find em), but otherwise I'll try to get my happy ass up there - brewing or not.

I hope to attend! But i'm still a maybe. I just got a new job today, and don't know what my schedule will be. It's at a busy restaurant downtown, and I may very well be working on the 28th. I'll let 'ya know no later than this Sunday, the 22nd!

Uhm, the 22nd was three days ago. :p Curtis, I have noon for when people are set to show up, but it's not set in stone. We'll be going at least a few hours, since brew day tends to take that long anyways. I'm going to be making an Oktoberfest with a double decoction, and if you've never done a decoction before it takes a long-ass time to do.

I have extra propane tanks and a second turkey fryer if anyone needs to borrow one. I also have a cooler-tun that can make 10 gallon batches if need be, along with my 5 gallon cooler-tun.

Still a definite maybe from me...

If I do show up... what time does brewday tend to start?

I hope to attend! But i'm still a maybe. I just got a new job today, and don't know what my schedule will be. It's at a busy restaurant downtown, and I may very well be working on the 28th. I'll let 'ya know no later than this Sunday, the 22nd!

Uhm, the 22nd was three days ago. :p Curtis, I have noon for when people are set to show up, but it's not set in stone. We'll be going at least a few hours, since brew day tends to take that long anyways. I'm going to be making an Oktoberfest with a double decoction, and if you've never done a decoction before it takes a long-ass time to do.

I have extra propane tanks and a second turkey fryer if anyone needs to borrow one. I also have a cooler-tun that can make 10 gallon batches if need be, along with my 5 gallon cooler-tun.

Two different people ;-)

So far it LOOKS like I'm not working. Bad for the wallet, good for the... laziness... Plugged in your addy and it looks like you're a mile from my MIL. Have to figure out which car I get, whether the kid is going to the MIL's. and whether my brew gear will actually fit in the car.

Ah....geez i'm a *******, I have no idea what day it is :) I start my job this saturday, so mark me down for no. Thanks for the invite, and have a great brewday! I'm bummed I won't get to see a decoction. I tried doing one once, but I must've pulled too little wort because my temps really didn't change much. I didn't have a forumula, I just kinda winged it.

Wow, a decoction Evil? I'm impressed...
Anything I need to bring? I'll assume you have power (for pump and grain mill) and water source (for chilling)?

Showing up is looking more likely for me... Count me as 3/4 likely to be there, though I'll probably be there closer to 1 (wife going to dogshow first... ).

Now I need to decide what (if) to brew.

Racked 3 brews (cent blonde, brown ale, afpelwein) to kegs just now... a bit buzzed from the "samples". You'll see me in drunken ramblings tonight!

Wow, a decoction Evil? I'm impressed...
Anything I need to bring? I'll assume you have power (for pump and grain mill) and water source (for chilling)?

Oh yea, I have all kinds of power for pumps and grain mills. And a hose too!

And yes Curtis, I knew I was talking to two different people, I just didn't space it out right in the post so it looked like crap.

So it looks like one definite, one 3/4 definite, and one maybe. Picobrew, hie thee to the brewday! Don't make me whip out the hypnotoad!

Consider this my RSVP. So change it to two definite ;-)

Honest officer, I'm brewing BEER...

3391660814_8039e6b398.jpg

I'll be brewing up a second round of lil sparky's nut brown. First batch is conditioning in the keg, but the sample on the way to the keg tasted so good...

Expect me to roll in 12:30 to 1.

Latest posts

Back