This is a first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok don't think I'm crazy and this may be a weird question but has anyone ever used PBW to clean a coffee machine ? I don't mean the pot I mean the machine like a drip coffee machine ie. cuisinart. I don't want to poison my family so I figured I'd ask here before joining a coffee forum for 1 question.

Get some DipIt. I use it in my coffee maker. It cleans it out really well and removes hard water deposits. With out it, because the water where I live is so hard, I'd have to get a new coffee maker every 2 months.

The coffee tastes a lot better after using it. Never used PBW. If you have a nice coffee machine don't take the cleanable parts out and put them in the dishwasher. My wife did that once broke a $100 coffee maker.

Get some DipIt. I use it in my coffee maker. It cleans it out really well and removes hard water deposits. With out it, because the water where I live is so hard, I'd have to get a new coffee maker every 2 months.

The coffee tastes a lot better after using it. Never used PBW. If you have a nice coffee machine don't take the cleanable parts out and put them in the dishwasher. My wife did that once broke a $100 coffee maker.

Vinegar and water descales and cleans out coffee makers. It's safe and vinegar is cheap. Just run a pot or two of clean water through the machine to rinse.

Vinegar and water descales and cleans out coffee makers. It's safe and vinegar is cheap. Just run a pot or two of clean water through the machine to rinse.

This is all you need to do. A 1:1 mixture works wonders.

Vinegar is best. Just buy one of the gallons of "distilled white vinegar" at the grocery store for $2.

But, using PBW will be fine, maybe a tablespoon to a full pot. Just run one or two full pots of clean water through it before using. However, PBW is an alkaline cleaner so if you're wanting to get rid of hardness buildup from hard tap water, then you need to use vinegar. I do at least 6 oz up to 18 oz vinegar in a 72 oz coffeemaker.

I use a commercial coffee equipement cleaner called 'Tabz'. I bet PBW would do the trick, but I don't know about running it through the machine.

Vinegar works well, but if you've had the machine a while and never cleaned it, it might be a bear.

Thanks for all the reply's !! To be specific let me tell everyone why I want to put pbw through the machine. Around 5 years ago I got married and my wife deemed my mr.coffee machine unacceptable even though I used that machine with surgical skill and could make the bet coffee out of it. I've had that machine since college like 20 years ago and I have a weird sentimental attachment to it. My wife always told me she threw it out when we got this expensive cuisinart that can make coffee with a sh$&. Yesterday when I was cleaning the garage and going through boxes guess what I found !!! I was so happy but it smells kinda musty or moldy or something ! I've already run a lot if vinegar through it and I still kinda smell it I manually cleaned it and can't see any thing but the smell is there. I'm determined to get this thing working again. That's why I want to go hardcore with pbw. Any other suggestions ?

I used PBW in our cheapy one once. If you read the PBW container,it talks about the strenght used to pumop through brewing equipment,& temps. Just run water through it a couple of times aftarward. But vinegar water is the excepted solution. I just think it's harder to rinse out.

Aschecte said:
Ok don't think I'm crazy and this may be a weird question but has anyone ever used PBW to clean a coffee machine ? I don't mean the pot I mean the machine like a drip coffee machine ie. cuisinart. I don't want to poison my family so I figured I'd ask here before joining a coffee forum for 1 question.

If you have the same cuisinart I do the manual says to run vinegar through it on the clean cycle. My gf hadn't cleaned it in six years so a bit more was needed. I flushed mine with bleach, a tablespoon to six cups water, and did that four or five times. Then ran a fifty fifty mix of vinegar and water through, followed by plain water. Be sure and pull out the water filter if so equipped. There are no off tastes from the bleach or vinegar after the rinsed and it looks like New.

Thanks for all the reply's !! To be specific let me tell everyone why I want to put pbw through the machine. Around 5 years ago I got married and my wife deemed my mr.coffee machine unacceptable even though I used that machine with surgical skill and could make the bet coffee out of it. I've had that machine since college like 20 years ago and I have a weird sentimental attachment to it. My wife always told me she threw it out when we got this expensive cuisinart that can make coffee with a sh$&. Yesterday when I was cleaning the garage and going through boxes guess what I found !!! I was so happy but it smells kinda musty or moldy or something ! I've already run a lot if vinegar through it and I still kinda smell it I manually cleaned it and can't see any thing but the smell is there. I'm determined to get this thing working again. That's why I want to go hardcore with pbw. Any other suggestions ?

Yeah, give it a try, then do another vinegar run to get rid of the PBW.

I'd let it soak in the PBW for 20 minutes and then run it. Good luck!

CLR works reall well at dissolving water chemical deposits & film. Cleans the pot too. Just rinse a couple of times.

I've run PBW through my coffee maker before. Does a damned fine job of cleaning it up. I do run a couple/few clear water 'clean' cycles through it after just to make sure it's well rinsed out. I also, normally, fill the carafe with PBW solution when done with cleaning up my brewing gear. I let it sit overnight, or at least a few hours, and it cleans it up real nice.

Back