Anything Worse Than A Hangover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkagain

Reaction score
Gah....ugh!

So I spent yesterday laid up with my first hangover in nearly three years. I forgot how bloody miserable it can be. Don't know what happened as I didn't drink excessively on friday. What the hell happened to me? I used to be able to shake a hangover off in a few hours. Yesterday I was sick the entire day. And I still feel poorly this morning.

Uh, back to bed for awhile.

What you drank can be as much a factor as how much you drank. Cheap booze is filled with fusel oils and other garbase which will cause hang-overs. More expensive booze is expertly cared for, which will eliminate hangovers.

Also, smoking and dehydration can factor in and contribute to a hangover.

Indeed, the metabolism of alcohol and other goodies in the hooch we drink uses water.

I think ethanol into acetaldehyde into acetic acid and so on, it takes up water.

Which is why drinking methanol kills you by the way, it gets converted into formaldehyde, which instead of following the metabolic pathway of ethanol; kills you.

Which is why drinking while pregnant is bad, ethanol gets converted into formaldehyde by that thing the baby uses, placenta I think. Poor babies, can't get their drink on.

Anyway, drink a lot of water before you go to bed. What I do is place a few bottles in a spot I plan to pass out later.

If you feel bad the next day eat slightly burnt toast, elemental carbon really quenches a hangover.

Hangover + jail cell + big ugly roomie + no pants?

Just guessing. Plus, we are coming up on flu season.

Anything worse than a hangover?

Let's see; Hm... waking up with a severe headche and left or right arm asleep with a buffalo girl laying on it and knowing that you may hafta chew one of your arms off just to get outa there!:cross:

Salmonella poisoning is by far the worst thing I've been through. Ate a piece of leftwover grilled chicken breast that wasn't quite cooked in the middle. I made it back to work a week and a half later. I'll take the hangover any day.

I drank a LOT of homebrew yesterday and had no hangover today. Pretty amazing stuff.

Bobby_M said:
Salmonella poisoning is by far the worst thing I've been through. Ate a piece of leftwover grilled chicken breast that wasn't quite cooked in the middle. I made it back to work a week and a half later. I'll take the hangover any day.

I drank a LOT of homebrew yesterday and had no hangover today. Pretty amazing stuff.

yowzers, that sucks man. An allergy attack is pretty ****, when I accidentally eat pesto it's a discomfort, when I accidentally eat anchovies (dressing, sauces) I would gladly take a hangover instead of hives all over my body, face and down my throat.

PseudoChef said:
Vitamin B and lots of water before you pass out.

B vitamins actually work better if you take them before you start drinking (B Complex).

Water or Gatorade before bed is a good thing and if you forget, Pedialite and Power Bars the next day will bring you back from the dead.

Oh yeah, if you can stomach it, V-8 will help your liver process the remaining alcohol more efficiently.

Don't ask me how I know all this... :cross:

Back