hydrometers and OG demystified

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I'm not demystifying them, I was hoping one of you could. I've read a lot about them, but it doesn't seem to make much sense. I've never used one during brewing because I'm afraid of contamination. I just do it when hitting the fermentor and bottling.

What do I need to know? Should I just continue not worring about it.

There was a mystical demystifying thread on this very subject about a week ago. Check the equipment forum, IIRC.

Y'know that's a good website, but he sometimes gets too technical for me. It almost makes it scary. Luckily, he gives you what you need to hear before he gets into the charts full of numbers.

I did get what I need to know though, thanks.

Can you transfer the sample back in after taking it or is that not a good idea?

You'll get two different answers to that here. There are some who feel, as long as everything is properly sanitised, that there is no harm in returning the sample to the fermenter. Others are adamant that nothing should be returned to the carboy.

mik82 said:

I never do, but I'm skerred that way. I've had some bad luck in the past with a few off-tasting batches so I don't take the chance anymore.
You lose very little beer from the thief so its a safe trade-off.

Just my humble opinion.

mik82 said:
Why put it back in? Drink it! :drunk:

In all seriousness though, I drink all my gravity samples to get an idea of where it's at malt / hop wise, etc. If you keep everything sanitized, you're probably okay, but for me I'd rather not risk screwing something up and just give it a swig.

How do you get your sample out of a 6-gal glass carbouy? Seems like it would be easy to contaminate the beer. Do you ever simply float the hydrometer directly in the carbouy?

use a sanitized turkey baster.

I have left my hydrometer in a SECONDARY carboy before, but never in a primary (too much gunk would get stuck to it.)

Back