First time Mead batch questions - time to rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acyl

Reaction score
Hi. I started three 1 gallon batches of mead 2 monthes ago. All three of the batches have cleared up and I want to rack to secondary. I want to make sure I am doing this right.

Do I just siphon to secondary and top off with water/honey?
Do I need to add more sulfite tablets?
Should I shake the mead up after racking to secondary?

Well, I can answer the last one: At this point you do not want to shake your mead. Adding oxygen at this point will cause the mead to go downhill fast. When you transfer be very careful not to splash around too much. Even this small amount could cause problems. I will let the more experienced folks answer your first two questions.

Do I just siphon to secondary and top off with water/honey?
Do I need to add more sulfite tablets?
Should I shake the mead up after racking to secondary?

1. Yes...well, sort of. Adding more fermentables without sulfite/sorbate or the yeast being over their max tolerance, you'll restart more fermentation. Be aware of that.

2. Depends. Is it DONE? If you sulfite/sorbate, you'll fairly effectively (although nothing is 100%) stop the ferment at that point. If it's still sweet, now is NOT the time to add things to stop or slow the ferment.

3. Hell no! Oxygen up until I think the 1/3 sugar break (maybe it's 1/2 -- look at hightest's FAQ) but no further.

Back