Igrill app for iphone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
Anyone using the igrill for home brewing? I think it would be a great tool for temperature monitoring both during brewing and fermentation. The big question is can the probe and wire be submersed into hot liquid. Anyone using this?

if it's like other probes, which it probably is... then the probe itself can be inserted into liquid just fine, but getting the cable wet can either ruin the probe or cause it to malfunction. I've done this by using a probe thermometer in my mash totally submersed... but I solved the problem ultimately by baking the probe to dry out the moisture that was causing the malfunction.

I'd also be concerned about accuracy at LOW temps. Since this is made for grilling and measuring high temps, I don't think that'd be a concern (the submerging into liquid MIGHT). But I'm always kind of leary about using grilling thermometers for fermentation. I'd go with the brewmometer or something similar, but I'm probably being paranoid. Usually the wort inside is maybe 2F warmer than the temp strip, at most (from what I can recall from discussions on the subject).

FYI, I talked to the people at igrill and they said that their probe wire cannot sit in liquid. They have had a lot of injuries from home brewers and are considering making a version for us.

I used my wife's William sonoma temperature probe to monitor my mash temps once. Everything was going fine until I started to add heat for mashout (BIAB). The probe sunk further and touched the bottom. The numbers went through the roof and now it reads 20* high or so. From reading this thread, I bet water got into the probe. Going to try baking it to see if that fixes it.

On another note, what probe style thermometers are people using? I use my stick thermometer but I have to either leave the top not fully closed or open the top to take a reading which is not the best way I bet.

I have and use igrill regularly for smoking.

Above post is accurate, probe can be submerged, cable can't.
It reads fine at low and high temps.
Some cool functionality like time lapse graphing and timer and temp threshold alarms.

Would adding heat shrink wrap from the where the probe ends and up the wire a foot or two or three help?

What about a probe from a different manufacturer?

Just to add to the list here I got the iGrill.. dropped the probes into the HLT and not they do not work :(

You need to build a thermowell or suchlike

I have an iGrill as well. I bought it for the smoker. It works great for that. I'd think in some form of a thermowell it would work for brewing.

Anyone tried the Thermoworks BlueTherm?
www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html

I Also wonder how portable a bcs-460 is. Can I simply unhook it and bring it out to the grill and plug it back in? And run my smoker program. Then bring it to the kitchen and use if to boil a starter on the stovetop. then take it back to the garage for fermchamber and brewery duty? Also could it alarm my android device when a temp is reached?

Latest posts

Back