Oatmeal Stout Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psrankin

Reaction score
Next on my list is an Oatmeal Stout partial mash. I found NB has a kit for this but I prefer to use DME instead of LME so I will be buying the ingredients separately. I've read that it's best to use the lightest DME possible, so can I substitute the dark DME for extra light DME without any other changes, or should I change the grain bill to suit?

Here is the ingredient list for NB's oatmeal stout.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/PM-OatmealStout.pdf

Thanks.

If you want the color to come in correctly, you'll have to either adjust the grain bill accordingly or leave it as dark DME. Either option is viable; you could just steep some roasted barley or carafa (husked or dehusked, depending on how roasty you want it) to balance out the color differential.

smagee said:
If you want the color to come in correctly, you'll have to either adjust the grain bill accordingly or leave it as dark DME. Either option is viable; you could just steep some roasted barley or carafa (husked or dehusked, depending on how roasty you want it) to balance out the color differential.

I am not too concerned with color, but how much carafa or roasted barley would be an acceptable amount, 8oz?

Next on my list is an Oatmeal Stout partial mash. I found NB has a kit for this but I prefer to use DME instead of LME so I will be buying the ingredients separately. I've read that it's best to use the lightest DME possible, so can I substitute the dark DME for extra light DME without any other changes, or should I change the grain bill to suit?

Here is the ingredient list for NB's oatmeal stout.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/PM-OatmealStout.pdf

Thanks.

Here's the grain bill for their All-Grain version:

MASH INGREDIENTS
--6.5 lbs English Maris Otter
--1 lb Flaked Oats
--0.5 lb English Roasted Barley
--0.5 lb English Chocolate Malt
--0.5 lb English Dark Crystal

You replace the Maris Otter with extract but the remaining grains can be used in the above quantities in your recipe.

Here's the grain bill for their All-Grain version:

MASH INGREDIENTS
--6.5 lbs English Maris Otter
--1 lb Flaked Oats
--0.5 lb English Roasted Barley
--0.5 lb English Chocolate Malt
--0.5 lb English Dark Crystal

You replace the Maris Otter with extract but the remaining grains can be used in the above quantities in your recipe.

Fantastic, I didn't even think about looking up their AG version. Thanks for the hlep.

Back