Should I prime this beer, and if so how much to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongzilla

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle my batch of Belgian brothers Golden Strong ale, see link below. (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/belgian-brother-golden-strong-250255/).

My wort had an original gravity of 1.067 corrected to temperature, and at the time of adding to the Demi Johns the gravity was 1.017 68°F (I have not had time to correct this to temperature).

With the gravity reading as low as this; should I prime my beer during bottling, and how much sugar should I use?

If I am to use priming sugar for the ale is this appropriate procedure.

Add priming sugar to half a litre to a litre of water.
Boil priming solution for 10 to 20 min till all sugar is dissolved.
Add priming sugar solution to sterilised container.
Rack beer into sterilised container.
Gently stirred beer and priming solution together.
Allow beer to stand for 5 to 10 min to settle.
Rack beer into bottles and cap.

Thanks for your help; Mongzilla.

Unless you are prepared to wait a very long time you will need to prime.

Use an online calculator to determine how much priming sugar to use.

I use this one. http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

You do not need too much water maybe about 1/2 liter. (2 cups here in the USA)

10 minutes is plenty long for the boil time.

Stir very carefully - do not splash. You don't want any oxygen in the beer at this point.

Mongzilla said:
I am getting ready to bottle my batch of Belgian brothers Golden Strong ale, see link below. (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/belgian-brother-golden-strong-250255/).

My wort had an original gravity of 1.067 corrected to temperature, and at the time of adding to the Demi Johns the gravity was 1.017 68°F (I have not had time to correct this to temperature).

With the gravity reading as low as this; should I prime my beer during bottling, and how much sugar should I use?

If I am to use priming sugar for the ale is this appropriate procedure.

Add priming sugar to half a litre to a litre of water.
Boil priming solution for 10 to 20 min till all sugar is dissolved.
Add priming sugar solution to sterilised container.
Rack beer into sterilised container.
Gently stirred beer and priming solution together.
Allow beer to stand for 5 to 10 min to settle.
Rack beer into bottles and cap.

Thanks for your help; Mongzilla.

I would let it sit a bit longer. 1.017 is a bit high of an FG for a style that should be a fairly dry beer. See if it will drop another point or two before bottling.

Good luck!

I only use 1 cup (1/4 L) of water, and I only boil for about 2 minutes. As mentioned above, use a priming calculator to determine the amount of sugar. Everything else in your process sounds good...

Thank you everybody for your help.

I think I will let my beer sit another week or two in the demijohns, and then check the online calculator. Thanks for the tip about how much water to use in my primer.

Mongzilla

Back