Allen Bradley SLC 500

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmer1234

Reaction score
So, I have just come into possession of an Allen Bradley SLC 500 Process Logic Controller (PLC). I have been working on my Brutus/electric hybrid system, and was about half way through building the control panel when my brother casually commented, "You know what you need is a pee-elle-cee." (His speech would have come out in nice capital letters, but we had been enjoying a few.) "Sure," says I, "but I am already way under water budget wise on this thing."

Fast forward a few weeks later now and he drops this on me from some equipment his company is retiring. The timing could not have been worse.

My question is, has anybody ever worked with one of these? How do you go about programming them? I am a Linux/Web administrator, so I am not afraid of having to dive into the deep end of things, but am hoping there might be a few life guards out there.

Thanks. You already have me half way down the rabbit hole. I have now realized that first, I need to be able to turn the thing on. Apparently the AB equipment is extremely modularized, but I believe the chassis I have has the power supply integrated. Next, I need to figure out exactly which processor I have in the 500 series. This one has 24 inputs and 16 outputs. The pdf I am looking through from AB does not list any models with this number of I/O. Once I get that narrowed down, then I can figure out exactly what kind of I/O I have and then how to start programming it.

As I am looking at the 500 series documentation, it looks like I will need a separate module to use my current RTD sensors.

unless you have access to allen-bradley programming and communications software, as well as the proper dh-485 interface adapter and plc connecting cable, you're pretty much at a dead end... all allen-bradley stuff is propreitary, the software is very expensive and unless you keep paying the annual licence fees, the software becomes useless.

Yep, that is kind of what I am beginning to figure out. The controller does have a cat-5 interface built into the chassis, so I am pretty sure I can interface with the controller, but I am not finding a lot of resources other than the proprietary options.

if you really want to use a plc, i would suggest checking out the units at automationdirect.com. their prices are more reasonable and their software isn't overpriced.

if you really want to use a plc, i would suggest checking out the units at automationdirect.com. their prices are more reasonable and their software isn't overpriced.

This...even though I am an allen bradley snob. You will need RSLOGIX 500 to program the SLC 500 series which is expensive$$$$$. Ebay your slick and put the money toward an automation direct unit. I think the software for their current series is free last time I checked...or only like 20 bucks or so.

What model is the controller? If it is a SLC 5/05 (you said cat5 port) you should be able to pay for you a complete rack from Automation direct with all the I/O you would need from selling it on ebay....there is another processor module that has an rJ45 port if I remember correctly but its not ethernet....

bink00 said:
This...even though I am an allen bradley snob. You will need RSLOGIX 500 to program the SLC 500 series which is expensive$$$$$. Ebay your slick and put the money toward an automation direct unit. I think the software for their current series is free last time I checked...or only like 20 bucks or so.

What model is the controller? If it is a SLC 5/05 (you said cat5 port) you should be able to pay for you a complete rack from Automation direct with all the I/O you would need from selling it on ebay....there is another processor module that has an rJ45 port if I remember correctly but its not ethernet....

Yes. Gelt rid of the SLC. You need Rockwell Automation software and a lot of specialized programming skills. Maybe your brother is a PLC programmer? If so, maybe he can write control logic and program the SLC with a programmer from work.

No, I am the programmer in the family. I am obliquely associated with the SCADA projects at my company, and provide some of the support, so I am familiar with the programming theory. I may get with my brother about ebaying the unit, but I want to give him first dibs, since certain people on his side looked the other way as the unit made its way into his truck, instead of the intended destination during the decommissioning.

Heres my slc 500 build.
DSC00250.jpg

Honestly I wouldn't recommend selling it, learning the programing isn't hard at all. Download LogixPro http://thelearningpit.com/lp/logixpro.html its a great teaching program and look up some youtube videos and youll be well on your way to figuring stuff out.

RSLogix500 can easily bought for a reasonable price on ebay as well as your analog input cards needed for Thermocouples or RTD's.

If you have any questions just let me know, there are a few other people on here using slc500's that may chime in also. Its a great way to learn.

If you don't want to go through the analog portion of the plc, you can just use PID's but use the PLC as all your interlocks and relays.

To learn programming,take some classes,it's not very hard.It's easy to buy a good working unit and plenty of cards and cables on Ebay.The problem is the software,you can't get it from Ebay.You'll have to buy,beg, borrow or steal it.If your lucky you have access to it at work,write your program,down load it there,and take it home,and hope the programming stays in.

If someone wants logix 500 licensing and or software I can get them for cheap. Not sure what it goes for on eBay but I have plenty of extra license keys. I could also do programming if desired.

I would sell the slc and get a click from automationdirect. Their software is free and better organized. The biggest advantage is they are compact and the terminals are tighter.

I would sell the slc and get a click from automationdirect. Their software is free and better organized. The biggest advantage is they are compact and the terminals are tighter.

So i know this an old post, but how is the project going?

I like the 05 series that can be bought from AutomationDirect. They have been around sense Moses wore short pants.

The Micro800 series are interesting. I bout some yesterday for a project I have. I don't think I would use them yet unless the 810 series will work for you. The 810 is $85 but does not currently offer a serial port. I bought the 830 series.

Unless you have free access to the software for the 500. I would look at the other 2.

bigdongsr94 said:
If someone wants logix 500 licensing and or software I can get them for cheap. Not sure what it goes for on eBay but I have plenty of extra license keys. I could also do programming if desired.

What your price? I'm using labview to write the code to control my AB 500.

Well is anyone watching their thread? Do you have a price for that key?

Preference really. A plc gives you a true automated environment that you can program and control with a pc and can also run an independant routine over and over again without reseting it even when powered off. You can just power it on and it will run the last loaded program. Good for repititive stuff.

Well is anyone watching their thread? Do you have a price for that key?

Im watching thread and raise one of my PLC 3s. Yes thats another plc 3 rack and 2 plc 5 racks next to it. I have enough I/O for them to start a war. SLC is for sissies...PLC 3 and 5 is for men. :)

4vMa3.jpg

edit: I guess I could have powered it up for the pic!!!

I am taking a Udemy online class, Programming PLCs from Scratch which uses the RSlogix 500 programming environment. The course provided links to the lite version of the software, which is basically missing features that make it easier to program. You can download it here:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/plc/micrologix.page

The instructor uses the full version, and as I work along side I have to pause the video frequently to keep up with him. Other than that, its a pretty good course.

Last edited:
Back