Boiling hops ALONE in water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up an extract kit for whatever reason, and the hops are a 45 minute boil, and if I do a late extract add of 15 minutes, the hops will be alone in the boiling water for 1/2 an hour. How does this affect hop utilization?

You'll need some extract for hops utilization. There is a formula for the science aspect but I went with 'art' and usually split the addition of extract 50/50 (50% before adding hops and 50% at 15 min).

How much extract do you have?

6lbs wheat extract, 1 oz sterling (6% AA) @ 45 minutes

I don't really have a target IBU. I just want something proper for a raspberry wheat.

+1 on 50/50 split. On my very first batch, I tried late extract addition and added it all with 15 minutes left in the boil without making any changes to hop amounts or additions. The bitterness of this beer was overpowering and really awful. Since then, I use the 50/50 method, cut down the bitterness hops by about 20% and I have had fantastic results.

That'll work. You definately want some type of malt extract in there before boiling the hops. 50/50 is the easiest way to do this.... By the way, I would throw the extract in for a 60 minute boil; adding the hops in at 45 minutes to go.

By the way, I would throw the extract in for a 60 minute boil; adding the hops in at 45 minutes to go.

no reason to do this -- 45 minutes is more than enough boiling for some extract. you're only adding the rest of it for 15 minutes, right? so why should this half need to boiled for 60? answer: it doesn't. save yourself a few minutes -- just throw the hops in after your hot break and start your timer counting down from 45.

no reason to do this -- 45 minutes is more than enough boiling for some extract. you're only adding the rest of it for 15 minutes, right? so why should this half need to boiled for 60? answer: it doesn't. save yourself a few minutes -- just throw the hops in after your hot break and start your timer counting down from 45.

I will do this. Seems simple.

You'll need some extract for hops utilization. There is a formula for the science aspect but I went with 'art' and usually split the addition of extract 50/50 (50% before adding hops and 50% at 15 min).

That theory was debunked quite a while ago. In fact, the very first Basic Brewing Video episode covered hop utilization in plain water.

One argument for having some extract in the wort however is that in plain water, the hops have a strong tendency to float on top. In a slightly higher gravity wort, the hops roll with the boil better.

That theory was debunked quite a while ago. In fact, the very first Basic Brewing Video episode covered hop utilization in plain water.

One argument for having some extract in the wort however is that in plain water, the hops have a strong tendency to float on top. In a slightly higher gravity wort, the hops roll with the boil better.

I add 1 lb of DME to 2.5 gallons of steeped grain water just for good measure, and boil my bittering addition in that. I add the rest of my DME at 10-15 minutes. I have been practicing this since my second brew, and the results have been great!

go get a turkey fryer for $30. Use the 7.5 gallon aluminum pot for full-boils and add all your extract up front. Full boils really improve your beer. really. I've been using my crappy turkey fryer pot for 8 months or more and I've made some great beer and been able to switch to AG with the addition of a converted cooler. The $30 turkey fryer is worth it.

I will be going AG in the new year, it's my resolution. I am in the process of gathering and building my equipment, it won' be too long, I will probably do 1 full boil extract batch before taking the leap.

Back