Whale Wars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I root for the Japanese too....My wife loves the da#$ show...but I can't stand it. I find myself wanting to punch the captain for being a total tool. Not that I think killing whales is "great!" or anything....I just think he is a pompass ass....

I'm all for not being cruel to animals, but groups like peta, etc. take it way too far.

I watch it with my wife. It is definetely interesting. Actually amazing how unorganized they are or how they get themselves into a life threatening jam (weather) very easily. The captain is a tool but every now and again he has a good idea or two.

I watch it every once and awhile. I find it extremely hilarious. The captain is such a tool, and all the people on board are just as bad. I love their half assed attempts at trying to sabatoge the whaling ships.

In all seriousness, just because the captain is an ass, the Japanese should be held responsible for illegal whaling.

I watch it every once and awhile. I find it extremely hilarious. The captain is such a tool, and all the people on board are just as bad. I love their half assed attempts at trying to sabatoge the whaling ships.

In all seriousness, just because the captain is an ass, the Japanese should be held responsible for illegal whaling.

If it is illegal, which I don't think it is. The captain is waging a terrorist war against them with the intent to shame them into stopping, but his methods are criminal at best.

If they were going after Texas whalers, the captain and his boat would be at the bottom long ago. :D

I am honestly surprised that some of them haven't been killed due to the incompetence of the captain and crew. Jumping aboard the Japanese boat and claiming it was a kidnapping and hostage taking erased any moral high ground they had.

It's good for few laughs though but pity the poor whales if this is their only defense.

It's good for few laughs though but pity the poor whales if this is their only defense.

Yep. I'm not in any way supportive of whaling (nor an expert on the matter), but I don't like when that style of activism is what gets the attention.

The Japanese whaling is officially passed off as "research" whaling, and there is plenty of debate about the validity of their argument that whale populations can sustain some whaling at this point. At any rate, the International Whaling Consortium has banned commercial whaling, but individual countries (such as Norway and Japan) can lodge objections, and are not bound by the moratorium on whaling.

All of which is to say, the whaling on the show is legal. Whether it's ethical and sustainable or not is a debate that needs to keep happening, but the Sea Shepherd is not lending much credibility to its side of that discussion, which is a shame.

I'm amused by stupidity at a distance. This show is pure gold. Peter Brown is my favorite character. I wish he and the dude with the bird arms and glasses and nostrils would get in a fight.

All animals are regualted through select hunting, why not whales too?

Dolphins for that matter, Mmmmmmmmmmmm porpoise tastes like bacon

All animals are regualted through select hunting, why not whales too?

Dolphins for that matter, Mmmmmmmmmmmm porpoise tastes like bacon

I am thinking overpopulation of whales is not an issue....Dolphins on the other hand, blackened, on a hogie roll, But I guess the pc name is Mahimahi??

Why not?

You spend anytime on the ocean?

Dolphin compete directly with Bluefin tuna for food and Bluefin populations are plummeting.

You are right, overfishing of the large predator fish is reducing their population.

You will notice I edited my statement immediately after posting it.

I am thinking overpopulation of whales is not an issue....Dolphins on the other hand, blackened, on a hogie roll, But I guess the pc name is Mahimahi??

Mahi-Mahi is a fish, it's not the same thing as the mammilian dolphin.

Found this tid-bit on Wiki about the captain of the ship: "In 1977, Watson was expelled from the Greenpeace's board of directors by a vote of 11 to 1 (Watson himself cast the single vote against it). "

The whole crew is stupid. Who takes a non ice rated vessel into the arctic? They are nuts. I love the episode where their gyro went out and they didnt know how to handle the vessel. Wow, money you can buy anything. Maybe the captain should goto a marine training school. The Japs are staying with in the legal limits, the are using the law as it is written. If that was my vessel and they illegally boarded it, they would be shot, that is piracy, they board with the intent to do damage.

The whole crew is stupid. Who takes a non ice rated vessel into the arctic? They are nuts. I love the episode where their gyro went out and they didnt know how to handle the vessel. Wow, money you can buy anything. Maybe the captain should goto a marine training school. The Japs are staying with in the legal limits, the are using the law as it is written. If that was my vessel and they illegally boarded it, they would be shot, that is piracy, they board with the intent to do damage.

+1

Shoot them and throw them over the side for the sharks

I read a paper my GF wrote about Paul back in college and it was very interesting. I don't agree with everything he does, but he is extreme to say the least.

I feel bad for the volunteers who have to listen to the BS of the 1st mate. I would push that F*&&r overboard. They just seem so disorganized and under equiped for what they believe is right.

The ying to deadliest catch's yang, I guess. If you can have real men fighting the ocean to make an honest living, you need to have a bunch of hippies sailing the ocean doing stupid things with money from who knows where)

So if I understand correctly, these SuperEnviros are going to hope to burn only 62 freaking TONS of fuel to get their sorry-assed boat back to fill it full of fuel again so they can throw poo bottles at whaling ships? 62 tons there, 62 tons back and God knows how many ass-tons of fuel burned spinning circles around icebergs.

I'm in the wrong damn business. Somebody here please give me a bunch of money so I can paddle a kayak around some clownfish kidnappers 100 yards off the coast of Hawaii or something.

The ying to deadliest catch's yang, I guess. If you can have real men fighting the ocean to make an honest living, you need to have a bunch of hippies sailing the ocean doing stupid things with money from who knows where)

Complete with a video crew to catch them committing illegal acts, getting their ass kicked, and to show the world what a bunch of bunch of ass clowns they are.

Gotta love "reality" tv.

My version of the grand finale is when their boat sinks from a torpedo launched by a Japanese submarine. :D

Latest posts

Back