Digging Up Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Well, I've searched and searched (here, google, etc) and haven't really found an answer to a question I'm having. The brewery near me is getting rid of alot of their hop plants and I've been selected to take some. Now, I don't want to be too greedy and take the whole rhizome ball (but I just might).

What's the best way to just get a few rhizomes (lightly dig at the base of the plant, exposing the roots and breaking a side shoot off?) or is it just best to dig out the whole root ball (keep the dirt on or should I wash the dirt off and transplant?)

Also, if I dig the hole thing out, how far down should I dig? A shovel's depth?

If they are getting rid of the plants, dig as deep as the main roots go and remove the whole ball. This can be 5-6" or a couple feet, depending on the age of the plant and how it was watered.

What brewery is it i am from NW Ohio just wondering who is getting rid of them pm me if you want.

How about splitting the rootball? What time of year can it be done? I have buried two five gallon buckets with bottoms removed 3-4 years ago and the buckets are solid each year. I promised a couple friends I would dig up some of the roots for them. Is now the time to do such a task in WI?

I had a hop plant growing in my back yard for a number of years. I decided last year to see if I could spread the plant and get more hops. I dug the side roots and cut them with a small pruner into about 10" individual pieces. I then planted about 10 to 12 of these roots, hoping to get a few of them to take. To my surprise they all grew, 100% success. I would do this and take the root ball that way you can grow more plants at one time. If you think about it, this is really the same as buying the rhizomes.

What time of year did you dig up the side roots? I am in WI and was thinking about doing it within the next month or so. That way the recipients could plant them directly into the ground.

You don't really need the whole thing but the larger the piece you can grab intact, the better chance it has to produce for you in the first year. If all else fails, grab as many small pieces as you can. It's amazing how small of a rhizome can grow into a 20' vine in the first year.

Back