IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halaster

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew up an IPA that has that hoppy flavor like a Dog Fish Head 90 minute, Three Floyds or Double Dog.

Anyone have any extract recipes for these types of beers?

I brewed up DFH's recipe for Imperial IPA, which I think is the same as the 90 minute. Turned out great....stupid neighbors killed it in one night! I think DFH sells the kit, but I haven't tried any of their kits.:mug:

Thanks for the help. I am experimenting with a 90 minute IPA recipe that I found and modified a little. It's sitting in the secondary for three weeks with the dry hops, but looks like it needs at least another week or two before I bottle it. Gravity reading started out at 1.095. Will post how it turns out when it's finally done.

Finally bottled this thing today. After the hops were in ther 2.5 weeks I pulled them out and let it sit for a bit longer. Cold Crashed it for a week and then bottled it. Looks to be 8.6% alcohol. Smells great and I can't wait till it carbs up.

I've never made the DFH 90 minute, but I have a recipe very much like the 60 minute clone. (The extract version is about post 27).

Yooper did you continuously hop? Been thinking about it sounds labor intensive but thats alright

the brews you listed are double ipa's (imperial ipas) not IPA's theres difference in my opinion. an IPA is less alcohol and more bitter, like 60 minute is VERY bitter while 90 min is higher abv at 9% instead of 6% and is less biting. You love double ipas like me not ipa's so much.

Yooper did you continuously hop? Been thinking about it sounds labor intensive but thats alright

Nah, it's not labor intensive. I just throw in a pellet or two every few seconds, or more if I walk away for a minute. I'm already done with most of the brew day by then (the stuff is all cleaned up, except for the brewpot) and it's only for an hour. Then while I run the chiller, I sanitize the fermenter and airlock and strainer and autosiphon. Since I'm a weakling, I siphon about half the cooled wort, then lift the brewpot and pour the rest into the fermenter through the strainer. It's probably overkill, but I've been thrilled with the results, so I keep doing it!

Since I'm a weakling, I siphon about half the cooled wort, then lift the brewpot and pour the rest into the fermenter through the strainer. It's probably overkill, but I've been thrilled with the results, so I keep doing it!

work smart not hard

I just helped a buddy run his first batch of brew on Friday. He loves my DFH 75 Clone. I showed him how to make it.

I call it 75 because it is in between 60 & 90..comes in around 6.8% ABV

I just bought a true brew double ipa kit, its brand new they just started making it, it was like $65 online without shipping but my LHBS had it for $44. It has 7 oz of hops 2 3.3 lb malt 2 lb dme caps fermentis yeast specialty grains priming sugar and a muslin bag. I think i made out, its dry hoppin now and im kinda at the low end of abv but i got 7.3% of possible 9%. Cant wait to try this one.

I just bought a true brew double ipa kit, its brand new they just started making it, it was like $65 online without shipping but my LHBS had it for $44. It has 7 oz of hops 2 3.3 lb malt 2 lb dme caps fermentis yeast specialty grains priming sugar and a muslin bag. I think i made out, its dry hoppin now and im kinda at the low end of abv but i got 7.3% of possible 9%. Cant wait to try this one.

would like to know the hop schedule listed in the directions. please

$44 is a hell of a deal

The recipe called for the following hop schedule

2oz Amarillo
3/4 oz Simcoe
1/2 oz Warrior

Split that up where you add 1/4 ounce of hops every 8 minutes.

Dry hopping called for:
1 oz Amarillo Hops
1/2 oz Simcoe
1/2 oz Warrior

The recipe called for the following hop schedule

2oz Amarillo
3/4 oz Simcoe
1/2 oz Warrior

Split that up where you add 1/4 ounce of hops every 8 minutes.

Dry hopping called for:
1 oz Amarillo Hops
1/2 oz Simcoe

1/2 oz Warrior

So I am assuming it was
2 oz amarillo 60 min.
1/2 oz simcoe 15 min.
1/2 oz warrior 5 min.??????

Thanks I am interested because it looks like a good kit to try if I like the way my IPA turns out.

He answered but i think you were asking me, its 2oz centennial, 1oz willamette, 2 oz amarillo, 2 oz cascade .... introduced like this 1oz centennial 60 min, then willamette, centennial, and amarillo 1 oz each for last 15 min. then 10z cascade with flame off. dry hop amarillo and cascade on day 3.

Nope the recipe calls for a grand total of 1/4 hops every 8 minutes and it's a mix of all the hop types. The dry hop is pretty straight forward.

Back