Cheap fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I have found a relatively cheap fermenter if you are trying to keep brewing on the cheap side. There are around $10.50 where I live(southwest TN), but in some areas I believe they are cheaper. It holds around 6.8 gallons, but it claims to hold 7. It is the color blue, but I can attest that there is no plastic flavor etc. as some claim. It is #2 HPDE plastic. It is somewhat difficult to move, but it has a handle on it which helps.

Here is a picture of it...

lg.jpg

It can be found in the hunting/fishing section of Walmart(where all of the guns and fishing lines are located). I have been in about 3 walmarts and it is in all of them.

Someone had already mentioned it, but they never said how the beer turned out.

To turn it into a fermenter I capped the large white top and took off the air flow valve cap. Then I simply poked a few holes in the top of a balloon with a needle and put the balloon over the small hole with a rubber band around it.

The beer tastes fine and if you are looking to brew cheaply these work very well.

I really wouldn't take a chance with this. It seems if its not #1 plastic it could maybe affect you beer. If I did use it I would probably only use it once due to the fact that it will be hard to clean and could deteriorate after a few uses.

Just spend the extra for carboy or better bottle. Thats just my opinion.

I would also agree and spring for the extra carboy, but I have seen a few threads pop up about using these as fermenters and the general consensus is that they are usable, if not ideal

$10.50 doesn't seem that much cheaper when i got all my buckets for about $11 each and lids are about $3

$3.50 is alot :D. About the comment it not being #1, the plastic buckets that everyone uses is the same type of plastic as these.

EDIT: Also if you think it will deteriorate, then the buckets would also deteriorate.

You are going to have to find some way to clean the nooks and crannies on this thing and more likely than not you are going to have to use a brush of some type. Buckets allow you to use a soft rage to clean all of the surfaces and not make scratches which will aid in the deteriation or possibility of infections.

Home brewing is great because everyone con do their own thing. If you like what you make then more power to you. I have a family and am tight on money so I want to make sure all of my brews turn out the best.

$3.50 is not much at all.

If you aren't about trying to scrounge one from frosting or something. Go to EmergencyEssentials.com 6 gallon buckets are 6.95 (I think 7.95 for one with a lid). Do an easy search on google for free shipping. Pretty good deal if you ask me. I went with the gamma seal lid at first, but ended up getting rid of it as it seemed like it was leaking as the airlock NEVER bubbled during 2 weeks.

Those are a good deal at emergencyessential, but what do you mean get free shipping by searching? I think I will have to pick a few up, if I can get free shipping.

Yeah I will probably use that site if/when I wanna increase my brewing.

Back