blue beer?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oinyo

Reaction score
Hi hi. I am prewing some pale ail and after day 5 in the primary I am noticing a blue tint in the color.

Like it is really looking blue and it is starting to worry me.

I will get home tonight and take pix but for now does anyone have any ideas of what may be going on?

There is zero foam on the top.. like. no head at all and i put yeast in it 4 days ago. The smell is normal with a bit of a lemon smell.

Cleaned it with the pink stuff and rinsed very well. brand new bucket never used before this batch.

Edit. it kind of looks like this right here except not as yummy looking...

189815ekMJ_w.jpg

Morgan Mountain Lager kit. Yeast is Coopers. pitch temp is a little cold but barely in the green on the beer thermo ( last I checked this morning ) In a dark area sealed lid with a blowoff.

Below is the pix on the kit box.

bluemountain.jpg

** edit.
That pix was just from a google image search of Blue beer

Just a thought -- if you have a light beer like that sitting in a clear carboy, then any colors in the surrounding environment can easily cast a color or shadow through the beer.....you might try moving it into another area of the house with neutral colors and lighting, cause I've never heard of blue beer ;-)

Ha ha if that is the case i am going to kick myself in the behind :p

I will gently move it and let you know

ditto
But +1 on the optical illusions. I thought my second batch was infected. Turned out to just be an illusion right where the carboy curved. Made it look like there was a 1inch layer of black on top

*edit
http://www.erdinger.com/
Yes I am at least 16 Years old
No I am not 16 years old!
Friggin Europeans.

Ryu-hyo Draft is the only blue beer i can find and it is a asian seaweed beer.

blue_beer.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4-vBiyUHO0o/R8WbLyzVPLI/AAAAAAAAAYo/a0LbVJIAnaM/s1600-h/blue_beer.jpg

http://skooloffresh.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

" Wow, that's a stunning color, eh?
This blue craft beer hails from a microbrewery in Abashiri City, Hokkaido (Japan) and uses water from melted ice flows. The local seaweed gives Ryuhyo Draft it's signature blue hue.

From a brand perspective...we give them an "A" for innovation. The craft beer market is all about being new and different. We just wonder if it follows through in the taste department.
If you've tried it...let us know! "

I am going to try to find the rec and brew this :p I give it a 75% fail chance ha ha

I figured. It would have to be clear to start with and have pure blue added to look like that!

Aparently its the seaweed they add into the secondary that makes it blue

Edit. it kind of looks like this right here except not as yummy looking...

189815ekMJ_w.jpg

So..... Could you brew a pilsner and add food coloring to it while racking? Because I gotta say, the whole blue beer thing is making me really thirsty.:rockin:

hmm.. You know.... I have a pilsner in primary.. i wonder if i can food color it in the secondary and see if it comes out cool like that.

Edit**

Would food color mess with anything? It is pretty tastless afterall..

A german microbrewer racked a wheat with red food color for a ferrari meeting at his restaurant, but i dont know how long you can lager such a beer.
The microbrewer sold it on the next day.

cheers jan

hmm.. You know.... I have a pilsner in primary.. i wonder if i can food color it in the secondary and see if it comes out cool like that.

Edit**

Would food color mess with anything? It is pretty tastless afterall..

Yellow(ish) pilsner + blue food coloring = green beer:fro:

That stuff is gross .. and a bud product...I don't mind american ale... but that stuff make me want to puke..

That Wild Blue stuff is really, really blue. It's heavily Blueberry flavored and surprisingly high gravity, about 8% ABV. It's also extremely sweet. I can chug down about half of one before it gets handed off to the ladyfriend (who wil drink that stuff all day).

Edit: Found a pic

2434570933_84655a0e3d.jpg

Back