Kegerator foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCM3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So this might not be the correct forum (if so could a moderator move it), but I recently picked up a new kegerator! I love it with the exception of it constantly spits out foam. I just tapped a sixtel of Sam Adams Octoberfest and every time I begin to pour it's about 50% foam :(. Can someone check out the pictures I've attached and let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Mike

20131004_151949.jpg

20131004_152001.jpg

Looks like your pressure is good. I keep mine at about. 5 psi even though most of the kegerator manuals say to use 10-12 psi.

What is the temp inside?
How long has it sat since transporting it?
Is your tower cooled?

The temperature is extremely important to find out, but in ALL situations, 3-4 PSI is too low to maintain carbonation and keep the foam from forming. Read the writing on the beer line tubing and let us know what it says. It may be too large in inside diameter and it's definitely too short.

Welcome to the forums WCM3.

As Bobby said, the beer line is too short (that and temp might be too high - you want about 38-40F degrees). Get 10 feet of 3/16" ID and pump up the PSI to 12. That should maintain your carbonation and give you no foam. Using flare fittings will allow you to quickly attach the new line to your existing tower tap line.

MoreBeer has some pics to show you want I'm talking about. Parts KEG600, 602, & 604 attach to KEG630. This allows you to quickly connect/disconnect any beer line to add length or attach a ball lock/pin lock (granted you're using a sanke connect atm).

Part# KEG 640 is for Gas Line to be added to a Gas-In ball lock/pin lock disconnect. You might be able to pick up these parts at your local homebrew shop (LHBS)

I had a similar problem a few weeks back. In my case 20 feet (maybe overkill) of 3/16 inch tubing at 12 psi solved the problem.

You guys are the best. I'll get a temperature and more hose and report back. What should the ideal temperature be?

My kegs sit at 40 degrees, I use 10' of 3/16" line and I serve a perfect pour at 12psi.

You guys are the best. I'll get a temperature and more hose and report back. What should the ideal temperature be?

12 ft of 3/16" beer line, reg set at 11psi, 38*F keezer temp (controlled by STC-1000) works quite well for me.

Guys wanted to report back. The longer hose and colder temperature fixed the problem!! So thankful to you guys! Poured a couple beers yesterday for the first time since doing it and there was barely any foam.

Guys wanted to report back. The longer hose and colder temperature fixed the problem!! So thankful to you guys! Poured a couple beers yesterday for the first time since doing it and there was barely any foam.

Thanks for the good word. Enjoy.:mug:

Back