looking for some advice on pest control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppinburgh

Reaction score
I have pests!! The one right on the center of the leaf is a spider mite I believe. And the caterpillar I can't seem to identify. Someone recommended I use a vinegar/water spray???? Thoughts? Advice? Alternatives?

ForumRunner_20130604_095332.jpg

ForumRunner_20130604_095415.jpg

In general I can't see spider mites. If you have the webs,then you have the little buggers, they make spider mite soap that has worked for me.

I would try not to panic if a bug or two has found their way onto your plants.

A healthy vigorous plant should easily outgrow these pests unless their numbers become enormous.

Your best bet for help with identifying and treating problem pests on any crop plant is to contact your county's USDA Cooperative Extension office.

You can mail them specimens for identification and safe treatment recommendations.

The quickest way to harm your crop is to treat excessively with household and/or hardware store remedies.

Good Luck!

Right on! Hey while your at it.. can you recommend someone to come water and take care of my bines too because I'm not at all interested in growing my own!

The best advice on the pest control can be many, but choosing the right, suitable and renowned pest controller is essential.

I'm a big fan of sulfur powders as a dusting agent.
Nicotine steeped from a pile of cigarette butts, vegetable oil and dish soap
is a well respected in the organic gardening community.
I'm a big believer in predator insects, Lady Bugs and Preying Mantis.
I've read alot on hops but haven't grown yet, just the regular garden variety plants.
A good mulch, stripping the lower leaves to take the rungs off the ladder and good sun to keep down fungus and rot to weaken the plant's natural resistance

I'm a big fan of sulfur powders as a dusting agent.
Nicotine steeped from a pile of cigarette butts, vegetable oil and dish soap
is a well respected in the organic gardening community.

I've been involved in the pest control industry for over 40 years and advice like this still amazes me. Nicotine is a Category 1 economic poison. It is extremely toxic to all forms of living things (including you). But just because it is "organic" a bunch of well intentioned but ill-educated greenies think it is safe! Again, Nicotine is a Category 1 Poison which places it in the same toxicity range Chlorine, Sodium, Arsenic, Cyanide, etc. Nicotine was banned as an active ingredient in insecticides over 30 years ago because of the danger it poses to humans and to the environment.

If you have a serious pest problem you should practice good integrated pest management. First, determine if the pest problem is serious enough to require any control efforts on your part. Next, determine if there are any changes you can make in watering, cleaning, pruning, etc, that will mitigate the pest problem. If, after these steps are taken it is still determined that some form of chemical control is necessary, it is far wiser (and SAFER) to use a thoroughly tested and registered insecticide to eliminate that pest problem.

Please, do yourself, your children and the environment a favor. Don't play chemist by concocting your own home remedies. And make it a point to ignore the greenies. Although well meaning, their advice is almost always more religious than scientific.

You should put in a call to Monsanto.
They probably have a GMO strain that is pest resistant.
Don't worry about the Long term affects, they bought a legislative pass on Liability.
Maybe someone here has a hook for a Group RoundUp Buy.

Beer if proof that God Loves You and want's you to be happy..

We have pest Usually the one close to the midst of the leaf is often a spider mite I think. Along with the caterpillar I can't seem to identify.

Are they doing significant damage?

Take a leaf sample (and an insect specimen if you can get one) to your local Agricultural Commissioner's office. Check the phone book and call first, but many county ag commissioner's offices have a resident entomologist who can make a positive identification for you.

Once you have a positive ID of the pest species you can explore control methods available. Control methods may be nothing more than simple changes in pruning or watering practices. It may not be necessary to take any control measures at all. Once you know for certain what you are dealing with you'll know where to start.

Spider mites are considered to be a gardner's foe. house-plants are being highly effected by these. It is really hard to see them until the plant gets injured. These kind of spiders gathers under the leaves of home plants and just ruin them by sipping on plant fluids & remove chlorophyll. You can only inspect the existence of the spider mite with the visible sign of webbing and white or yellow speckles.

To get your garden out of this spider mite problem you have to learn what conditions do the spider mite abide in and condider both control and preventive strategies.

Back