Irish Red---Please Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
I am looking at trying to brew a Irish Red on St. Patty's day. Trying to do something similar to a Saranac Irish Red if you've had one. Somewhat on the sweeter side, malty, almost no hop presence. I wonder if I've got to many things going on here?:confused:

Here's my idea:

5 Gal.
5.3 % ABV
23 SBU

10lbs MO
1lb Crystal 60
8oz. Carafoam
8 oz Crystal 80
4 oz Special "B"
8 0z. Honey Malt

1 oz Vanguard at 60
.5 Vanguard at 30

Mash at 152 for 60 min.

Wyeast 1084 with appropriate starter

Sounds delicious!

I did an imperial red last night and if I had any input for ya I would say that the 15 lb 2row, .5lb carapils, 1lb crystal 60, 1lb Munich, and 1lb caramunich grain bill didn't get me quite the color I was lookin for. My 2 cents.

Trying to do something similar to a Saranac Irish Red if you've had one.

The Irish Red I keep going back to is very similar to your recipe. I've gotten some great reviews from everyone that's tasted it. It is a little simpler. I don't know but what the Fuggle hops may make this hoppier than you are looking for but here it is:

9# MO
6 oz roasted barley
6 oz crystal 120
8 oz. Munich
Fuggle (imported) 1 oz (60 min) 1 oz. (10 min)
Edinburgh (WLP028)

I've also done this beer with simple old Munton & Fisson's ale yeast and it turned out great. Color is just right (to my eye).

I've never had a Saranac, but you're right, you do have a lot going on here, yet no roasted barley, which in my mind is essential for an Irish red. I'd drop some of that crystal and replace it with RB, 5 or 6 oz is typically enough.

I'd also stick to just a 60 min hop addition, increase the qty a bit to bring the IBU up, and cut the 30 out completely.

Puddlethumper's recipe might be closer to what you're looking for.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely add some o those considerations. I'll let you know how I make out. IfI I mash higher, I should wind up with a less fermentable wort, which should retain some residual sweetness? Say 155 or above?

Yes, a higher mash will give you more unfermentables and a sweeter finish. Just be careful. You already have a lot of crystal. I'd probably keep it in the 153-154 range to be safe.

I just revisited the Irish Red recipe that I currently have on tap, which I was extremely pleased with...

86.7% M.O.
3.3% Carapils/dextrine
3.3% Roasted Barley
3.3% English C120
3.3% English C45

Mash 153

25 IBU Fuggles @ 60

WLP004 Irish Ale yeast

It has a nice medium body with up-front sweetness and finishes slightly dry with a hint of roastiness. This recipe is a essentially the one from Brewing Classic Styles, with only minor mods.

Back