Brewers Best PSA IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gestyr

Just an earthbound misfit
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone else brewed this kit?

Now and then, I like to buy a kit and brew rather than following my own AG recipes. I brewed the PSA IPA back in November and let it sit in the fermenter for about 4 weeks. I used US-05 for yeast. I transferred it to my Tap-A-Draft bottles about a week ago. I am really happy with how this turned out. Nice and hoppy, flavorful and with a decent malt background.

Anyone else have any comments on it? You gotta admit, Brewers Best makes some good kits. :rockin:

I have the brewers best Extract IPA in the Fermenter now..3 days going strong...It's my first brew too so kinda excited glad you say its good...What is PSA btw?

The PSA was a special release they did this year. Part of the money for the kit went to prostate health research. The test for prostate cancer is called the Prostate-Specific Antigen test. Buyers Best made this kit using Palisades, Simcoe and Amirillo Gold hops.

I think you will be happy with the results of your ipa. Buyers Best makes good kits.

The PSA IPA is one of my favorites! I used 22oz. PET Coopers bottles and I'm down to my last six. I have another kit waiting in the wings though. My notes say; "Nice head, good retention, nice lacing, bitterness gone 3< seconds." In about 13 days I should be bottling and that will free up my 2 fermenters. I'll probably brew a Smithwick's Clone and the second PSA IPA.

I know this is an old thread but I'm on my first homebrew (PSA IPA) and was wondering if anyone used a secondary fermenter? I have read that the yeast strains available now are stable enough to not need a secondary but I want to make sure this first one is a good one. I would of course wait until my airlock went idle for a day or so.

I know this is an old thread but I'm on my first homebrew (PSA IPA) and was wondering if anyone used a secondary fermenter? I have read that the yeast strains available now are stable enough to not need a secondary but I want to make sure this first one is a good one. I would of course wait until my airlock went idle for a day or so.

If you ask 10 people you will get 12 different opinions. :) I generally do a secondary for a big beer or one with a low flocculating yeast.

I brewed this twice. No secondary needed. I don't think the OG was all that high. Forget the airlock. Check for FG and over three days to make sure fermenting has stopped. I usually wait three weeks and forego the checks. Great brew by the way. Cheers, Pete.

I've got one of these kits on the way in the mail. gestyr mentioned that he used US-05 yeast. Is there any reason to not use the yeast that comes with it (I assume it comes with yeast...)? This will be my second homebrew. Hope to bottle my Sierra Nevada Pale clone Sunday after 1 week in primary, followed by 2 weeks in secondary. Then I'll brew my BB PSA IPA Monday. Love the three-day weekend!

Any other tips for this brew would be appreciated. I did a secondary for my first, but am leaning toward none for this go-around.

I used the US-05 for 2 reasons: i like the flavor profile and 2: I had some on hand. There is nothing wrong with the yeast that comes with the kit. :mug:

Got the kit today and it came with US-05.

Quick question- the recipe calls for boiling 2.5 gallons and then adding more water after the boil. If I were to boil 5.5 gallons (it makes 5 gallons), how would this affect the IBUs? I've heard it would increase them. It is supposed to end up with 55-60 IBUs following the recipe.

Would boiling 5.5 gallons affect anything else?

My kit didn't turn out to well. I mean it was bitter and off, though after a few months in a bottle it mellowed out a lot.

Did you prepare it pretty close to the directions or change anything? Did you steep & boil 2.5 gallons or the full 5?

I followed the directions exactly. Did a 2.5 gallon boil, and topped off to reach the recommended OG. Then again it was my first extract and I've learned stuff to do since then.

I have less than a case of the brewers best India pale ale kit that I brewed the end of February... It's hoppy and delicious with good creamy head retention. It is hazy, but I didn't brew it to be judged just to be drank! I had it 5 days in the primary and 10 days in the secondary. It's been in bottles for about 3 weeks.

Mine is almost 3 weeks in bottle and tasting great. Similar to what the previous poster said. Though mine is clearing up relatively well. Three weeks in bottle compared to two weeks was impressively different. This beer really came together nicely. Guess that's why everyone stresses the virtue of patience in this hobby :)

Lots of compliments from friends on my first two brews. Hope they're not just blowing smoke up my ass. But I guess as long as I think it's delicious that's all that matters.

This is my first brew as well! It is in the primary now. Its day 5 so I'll probably rack it into the secondary and leave for about 2 weeks (as per the instructions.) I took a little whiff through the airlock, and it smells pretty damn good. I think dry hopping it would be interesting.

Love brewers best. I buy it sometimes because honestly, they are just good kits, plain and simple. Saturday I'm brewing their Belgian IPA. I'm also doing a brew room makover for my HERMS system so kits are better for me right now.

Back