UN-spent grain bread recipe (for bread machine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Made this bread this past week-end, served it along an Irish Guinness beef stew. The brew club members loved it. So here's the recipe.

1 1/3 cup of water
2 tbsp of dry milk*
2 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
2 tbsp of brown sugar
3 cups bread flour *
1 cup of dry, unused Special-B malt*
2 tsp of bread yeast

Pulverize the Special B in a (clean) coffee grinder by pulsating, to avoid any extra dust or overheating the grain. Make sure that the grain looks mostly like very coarse flour. Some loose husks and bits are fine.

Put the water, dry milk, salt, vegetable oil, and brown sugar in the bottom of the pan, and mix gently to get the first dry ingredients dissolved. Add 1 cup of flour, half the Special-B, 1 cup of flour, the rest of the Special-B, and the remaining 1 cup of flour, effectively layering the flours.

Make small indentation on the top of the flour, and put the yeast there.

I use the 2-lb loaf, French Bread setting on my machine. The loaf rose to about 3/4 of what I normally expect using flour only, which is normal due to the different (lower) protein/gluten contents of the malt. It was a bit of a "late riser", as it continued to rise a bit during the baking cycle.

About Special-B: I used this because it has a lot of flavors, and a good amount of color. One could try some other dark crystals, or may be base malts. I'd be cautious when using roasted malts (black patent, roast barley, chocolate malt, etc) as those could be overpowering. It would probably be OK to blend them, no doubt.

About dry milk: I use dry milk because I can use the delay timer setting without fear of the milk spoiling. If you intend to start the machine right away, it's OK to substitute some of the water with 2 tbsp of milk. What I do is put 2 tbsp of milk in the measuring cup, and then fill to the 1-cup mark.

About the ratio of bread flour to barley malt: since barley malt has a different gluten/protein contents, you have to be careful on how much barley to use. Too much, and you'll end up making dark bricks :D It seems like 3:1 bread flour:barley works good for me.

MC

Finally posting a pic. Looks rustic a bit, and I love it!

14lt1zd.jpg

MC

NECRO THREAD WARNING!!!​

About the ratio of bread flour to barley malt: since barley malt has a different gluten/protein contents, you have to be careful on how much barley to use. Too much, and you'll end up making dark bricks :D It seems like 3:1 bread flour:barley works good for me.

MC

Do you still make this, or similar, bread?
I have a question regarding your proportions. 3:1 makes since, but I would think 3:1 post-milling not pre-milling

Back