Rubbermaid exhaust hood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanGC

Reaction score
Figured I'd just write this up because I haven't seen too much about this around here. I was looking for a cheap option for a ventilation hood in the basement. I had all the materials to build a hood from wood and pvc when I looked over at a rubbermaid tote and went A HA! I flipped it upside down, punched to 1/4" holes at the bottom and tied some chain and S hooks to the ceiling beam. I then cut a 6" hole in the side with a jigsaw and mounted the ducting.

This is probably the cheapest alternative considering I already had most of the parts. There is rarely condensation in the tote. Nothing drips back into the keggle.

IMG_20120122_125206.jpg

IMG_20120122_125154.jpg

This looks rather awesome and is exactly what I will need for our new house. Any regrets so far? How many brews do you have with it?

Keep us posted on how well this works. I've been thinking about doing the same.

I've used this hood for about 6 different all grain batches without a single issue. Condensation builds up in the fan, which sometimes results in a small leak (only in the fan though). However, the hood works perfect.

I've used this hood for about 6 different all grain batches without a single issue. Condensation builds up in the fan, which sometimes results in a small leak (only in the fan though). However, the hood works perfect.

hmmmm. i am wondering if using a 6" vortex fan would eliminate your fan condensation issue. It's twice the cost but I assume a better fan and what many others use. I think I will give this a shot and report back my results. I am about to make the vortex fan purchase.

Back