I must brew a Sam Adams Octoberfest clone ASAP! Recipe Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbird1977

Reaction score
Okay I searched but I'm mainly an extrAct partial mash brewer. Onl y been in the game 8 mths. I brewed an octy kit from a lhbs as a lager....good but not gooood.... I want SA octy awesome. Any recipe / advice is welcomed.

I did a lager and it was not that great. So perfer an ale but can do a lager and can ferment at the lower temps.

October fest is overrated i had a few the otherday and wasnt impressed.

To each their own. I don't like Sam Adams's 'Fest, but I think the Oktoberfest style is fantastic. Rich, malty, crisp -- so much flavor for a lager. Whether or not your personally like the style, the style is not "overrated." It's renown is well deserved -- it's a great style.

I did a lager and it was not that great. So perfer an ale but can do a lager and can ferment at the lower temps.

A true Oktoberfest can only be a lager I do believe. You can try and replicate it somewhat as an ale but i don't think you will be able to create an Oktoberfest ale that will taste nearly like a SA.

Yeah pretty huge grain bill. The waiting has been the worst part. 3+ months of staring at it :( Is it October yet?

It takes three to five months to produce a proper Oktoberfest, and you can't produce an acceptably close ale without extensive aging. My suggestion would be to slow down and do it right, otherwise you won't get anything that tastes even remotely like a Sam Adams clone.

Also, you'll need at least a half mash with lots of Munich malt. You're not gonna get an Oktoberfest by steeping crystal malt and dumping LME into it. Just sayin'.

Best of luck. :mug:

+1 to Beirmunchers OktoberFast ale... tastier than sams and easy to make, he has an extract recipe in that thread also.

I have made it a few times and the keg has kicked in a single day each time

you wont be able to clone this beer without being able to do lagers well. The lager yeast is a big part of what makes this beer taste the way it does.

Sure, but a quick search of this site reveals that a LOT of brewers are forced to make the same decision: there are many many "Oktoberfest Ales" brewed by those who lack the ability to lager or have run out of time. Of course the resulting beer is not an Oktoberfest -- perhaps more of a Mock-toberfest -- but it's good drinking and close enough to please crowds of non-beer geeks.

I am also desperate for a Sam Adams all grain clone recipe. I can and will lager. Can anyone point me to a recipe?

AHS has a bunch of Oktoberfest clones but not Sammie.

Yes a traditional Oktoberfest/Marzen is a lager and is brewed in March. You can definitely make a good tasting ale version though. It will taste different using ale yeast but that doesn't mean it wont be a good beer.

I've made Jamil's Ocfest a few times. I also have had the SA ocfest. I think they are very very similar. I got Jamil's recipe from his book Brewing Classic Styles, which should be on every brewer's shelf. But here it is online (I don't know if it's exactly the same, just found it on a search)
https://sites.google.com/site/mishabrews/brew-archive/2006_brews/-41-jamil-s-oktoberfest-marzen

The last one I did with W34/70 dry lager, it's really good. I also replaced those hops with magnum (bittering) and hallertau. Good luck. Don't overdo this beer, I've drank a lot of ocfest in Germany and it is NOT a bock. Don't try to push this beer to high ABV... it is a session beer.

I've made Jamil's Ocfest a few times. I also have had the SA ocfest. I think they are very very similar. I got Jamil's recipe from his book Brewing Classic Styles, which should be on every brewer's shelf. But here it is online (I don't know if it's exactly the same, just found it on a search)
https://sites.google.com/site/mishabrews/brew-archive/2006_brews/-41-jamil-s-oktoberfest-marzen

The last one I did with W34/70 dry lager, it's really good. I also replaced those hops with magnum (bittering) and hallertau. Good luck. Don't overdo this beer, I've drank a lot of ocfest in Germany and it is NOT a bock. Don't try to push this beer to high ABV... it is a session beer.

Since this is the closest this forum has come to a confirmed SA Oktoberfest clone so far I would point out that this recipe is indeed wrong compared to the book, you would pretty much have to double all of the ingredients here.

Since this is the closest this forum has come to a confirmed SA Oktoberfest clone so far I would point out that this recipe is indeed wrong compared to the book, you would pretty much have to double all of the ingredients here.

It's been a while (!), but I doubt I checked that link when I posted it. Thanks. Here's the real recipe from BCS.

ocfest-63541.jpg

It's been a while (!), but I doubt I checked that link when I posted it. Thanks. Here's the real recipe from BCS.

ocfest-63541.jpg

Ok - I just had my first ever taste of the SamAdams Octoberfest lager. OMG - THIS is what I want to brew next - but it is my first lager ever after 1.5 years of brewing ales. I have had the full all grain control panel setup now for over 4 months and have just been toying around with temps and process so it is now time to do it.

Um - I am totally confused? - do you spend all that money on 4 packages each of Lager Yeast? Or said another way: 8 paks of Yeast at 5.95 a pop then 4 more dry yeast at 4.95? for a grand total of around $45 just on yeast?? Or is that a list for us to use - just choose one - depending on our tastes... Please reply...

--edit--
Also - not really sure if we got the IBUs right for translation - I use BrewersFriend and didn't come near that IBU level that I see in your pic. I came up with 8.47 for the 60 min and 1.71 for the 20 min using Hallertau Hersbrucker using your amounts in the pic. :confused:
--Edit-- doh - had the wrong boil size vs batch size - please disregard this section -

Ok - I just had my first ever taste of the SamAdams Octoberfest lager. OMG - THIS is what I want to brew next - but it is my first lager ever after 1.5 years of brewing ales. I have had the full all grain control panel setup now for over 4 months and have just been toying around with temps and process so it is now time to do it.

Um - I am totally confused? - do you spend all that money on 4 packages each of Lager Yeast? Or said another way: 8 paks of Yeast at 5.95 a pop then 4 more dry yeast at 4.95? for a grand total of around $45 just on yeast?? Or is that a list for us to use - just choose one - depending on our tastes... Please reply...

--edit--
Also - not really sure if we got the IBUs right for translation - I use BrewersFriend and didn't come near that IBU level that I see in your pic. I came up with 8.47 for the 60 min and 1.71 for the 20 min using Hallertau Hersbrucker using your amounts in the pic. :confused:
--Edit-- doh - had the wrong boil size vs batch size - please disregard this section -

For the yeast, make a starter with the lager yeast and you can grow as much as you like. Cheaper than 4 pouches. I have never use 4 in one carboy.

Those IBUs above are misleading. The book says 24 and 2.7 IBUs. The numbers above aren't correct.

For the yeast, make a starter with the lager yeast and you can grow as much as you like. Cheaper than 4 pouches. I have never use 4 in one carboy.

Those IBUs above are misleading. The book says 24 and 2.7 IBUs. The numbers above aren't correct.

I have never used more than one type of yeast in a beer. Actually just brewed my first lager (an oktoberfest) about a month ago.

so how do you utilize 3 different strains of yeast? Are you pitching different yeasts at different times in the fermentation? Just dumping all strains in at once? If dumping all at once, wouldn't the dominate strain just take over?

My lagering schedule was ferment at 52F for 10 days then raise to 64F for 2 days and back down to 52F for another 2 weeks and then move to secondary (keg) and lager @ 34F for 3 or 4 weeks.

From reading this thread it seems some people are lagering for months. Is there something else I should be doing?

PS -- I used white labs oktoberfest yeast with a 1 gallon starter.

Try WLP830 German Lager Yeast without being tied to Lagering temps. You can ferment at 65° with little off flavors and is widely used professionally as a house yeast for ales.

Be sure to use plenty of yeast. I use 1 vial with a 1000 ML starter per 5-6 gallons.

Cheers,

I have never used more than one type of yeast in a beer. Actually just brewed my first lager (an oktoberfest) about a month ago.

so how do you utilize 3 different strains of yeast? Are you pitching different yeasts at different times in the fermentation? Just dumping all strains in at once? If dumping all at once, wouldn't the dominate strain just take over?

My lagering schedule was ferment at 52F for 10 days then raise to 64F for 2 days and back down to 52F for another 2 weeks and then move to secondary (keg) and lager @ 34F for 3 or 4 weeks.

From reading this thread it seems some people are lagering for months. Is there something else I should be doing?

PS -- I used white labs oktoberfest yeast with a 1 gallon starter.

Use one kind of yeast.

Jamil usually recommends several yeasts that will work. The guy who created beersmith recipes for all of Jamil's recipes just showed all the yeasts. Choose only one of them.

Sorry for the confusion.

so how do you utilize 3 different strains of yeast?
You don't. In Jamil's book (where that recipe comes from), he gives three options for yeast in each recipe. You choose one, not use them all.

FWIW, I made a close approximation of that recipe last May, lagered it all summer, bottled at the end of August. I haven't tried the SA O'fest, But the beer came out great, a lot like the commercials make it sound. I guess I'll have to try one!

Cheers,

ETA: The passed pawn was too fast.

Use one kind of yeast.

Jamil usually recommends several yeasts that will work. The guy who created beersmith recipes for all of Jamil's recipes just showed all the yeasts. Choose only one of them.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks (add frazier for the assist)! I guess I would have known that if I read the book. :mug:

Ok - now that sounds a bit more realistic - I would never buy 8 vials of WLP then dump them all. Just not cost effective. Now growing my own starter - that is something I can do well now. I use brewersfriend and their starter calculator is great and makes it much easier to hit it right the first time. I am going to use 3 vials then do a one stage starter at 4L to come up to 818 billion cells. Nice - thank you for that!! Edit - going 10gal on this one

I love tasting the biscuit so I am going to use a Dark Munich instead and drop the CaraMunich II. I am also cool with it being around 18 IBUs too. Thank you for the update.

Thank you for responding so quickly! I owe you guys one...
If you ever drop into SFO and have a long layover - call me - I live within 10 min of the airport - I can pour you one!!

I've never done a lager, but I've brewed several with the Wyeast German Ale yeast. It definitely needed several months to age. Once it did, it was a good mock.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok - now that sounds a bit more realistic - I would never buy 4 vials of WLP then dump them all. Just not cost effective. Now growing my own starter - that is something I can do well now. I use brewersfriend and their starter calculator is great and makes it much easier to hit it right the first time. I am going to use 3 vials then do a one stage starter at 4L to come up to 818 billion cells. Nice - thank you for that!! Edit - going 10gal on this one

I love tasting the biscuit so I am going to use a Dark Munich instead and drop the CaraMunich II. I am also cool with it being around 18 IBUs too. Thank you for the update.

Thank you for responding so quickly! I owe you guys one...
If you ever drop into SFO and have a long layover - call me - I live within 10 min of the airport - I can pour you one!!

I wouldn't use the dark munich. I brew Octoberfests every year and they always come out darker than I want them to. I always forget to adjust my recipe and repeat my mistake. I'm drinking one of them right now! They taste fine though.

I'm sure I'll forget, but if I don't I'll take you up on that. I get into SF at least once a year. I might be out there around Christmas. My dad's in Pacifica, one bro in Oakland and one in Half Moon Bay (that one is a member here). That last had a house in Burlingame for a while, prolly close to you.

I wouldn't use the dark munich. I brew Octoberfests every year and they always come out darker than I want them to. I always forget to adjust my recipe and repeat my mistake. I'm drinking one of them right now! They taste fine though.

I'm sure I'll forget, but if I don't I'll take you up on that. I get into SF at least once a year. I might be out there around Christmas. My dad's in Pacifica, one bro in Oakland and one in Half Moon Bay (that one is a member here). That last had a house in Burlingame for a while, prolly close to you.

That is funny about the Munich - I went to lunch with a pro brewer today and he said use the Dark, don't make it too light - now you say don't too much - lol - I think I am going to have to figure this one out for myself =;>

No way - I was born and raised in this town. What is the last name? Perhaps I know him? Sounds like we are going to get to have a brew together then. I would love to meet up with you guys! :tank: Hell - let's meet up at my house since your bro is in Oakland - he can use BART to get here...

My brother is a dogwalker (former engineer, funny story). His name is Tim DeWeerd. He belongs to some brew club there, I think he goes to meetings. He used to live on Humboldt St if you know where that is.

The other one in Oakland has brewed, but he's too busy to do it these days. He works / commutes to SF.

I spent a week out there in August, mountain biking along the coast. Tim is almost in the harbor there, so we spend a lot of time between HMB / Pillar point, moss beach, etc.

That is funny about the Munich - I went to lunch with a pro brewer today and he said use the Dark, don't make it too light - now you say don't too much - lol - I think I am going to have to figure this one out for myself =;>

No way - I was born and raised in this town. What is the last name? Perhaps I know him? Sounds like we are going to get to have a brew together then. I would love to meet up with you guys! :tank: Hell - let's meet up at my house since your bro is in Oakland - he can use BART to get here...

My brother is a dogwalker (former engineer, funny story). His name is Tim DeWeerd. He belongs to some brew club there, I think he goes to meetings. He used to live on Humboldt St if you know where that is.

The other one in Oakland has brewed, but he's too busy to do it these days. He works / commutes to SF.

I spent a week out there in August, mountain biking along the coast. Tim is almost in the harbor there, so we spend a lot of time between HMB / Pillar point, moss beach, etc.

Oookkk - that does sound like a good story. My brother is an engineer too. =;>
DeWeerd - no I don't know him. I do know where Humboldt St. is but it is a big small town - if that makes sense so... I went to Serra HS and graduated in 88.

Nice - August was hot this year so you must have had a blast on those trails - I used to do all that too - before kids that is...

I am sure I have bumped into him at Hop Dogma a few times and not known him...

Let's set something up!

Oookkk - that does sound like a good story. My brother is an engineer too. =;>
DeWeerd - no I don't know him. I do know where Humboldt St. is but it is a big small town - if that makes sense so... I went to Serra HS and graduated in 88.

Nice - August was hot this year so you must have had a blast on those trails - I used to do all that too - before kids that is...

I am sure I have bumped into him at Hop Dogma a few times and not known him...

Let's set something up!

I was at hop dogma (we walked there), and I also hit up that brewery on the highway down towards pescadero... Highway 1 brewing or something like that. Man they had some FINE beer there.

If I get out there, I'll let you know.

There really should be two styles, German Marzen/Oktoberfest and American Oktoberfest. We tend to put our own spin on things. Original Oktoberfest is lighter in color with a nice hop aroma and fairly dry. American versions tend to be darker, sweeter with caramel overtones, and no noticeable hop aroma or flavor. For one thing, Germans don't use UK or US Crystal malt. Why? Because they're not German, Austrian, or Bohemium. Don't be shy with the hops eaither. A strong malt backbone needs balance. If you can try some Paulaner, Spaten, or Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest, they are gaining US distribution. I think you will be surprised.

I was at hop dogma (we walked there), and I also hit up that brewery on the highway down towards pescadero... Highway 1 brewing or something like that. Man they had some FINE beer there.

If I get out there, I'll let you know.

I have never been to Hwy 1 - I must check this out now - ty

Please do!

Back