decent cigars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with freyguy, Macanudo is a great cigar for someone new to cigars, just get the basic Macanudo in corona size/shape -- or for a treat their Hyde Park Cafe is a nice one, a bit bigger but still mild with nice flavor. I also used to enjoy the Macanudo Ascots, they come in a tin of 8 or 10 and are small so great for a commute (car ride) home from work or a reasonable "out on the porch" smoke when it's cold (or hot) out.
You will also like Ashtons, and probably Avo's.
Generally you can ask the tobacconist for a mild to medium bodied Dominican cigar and you'll be set.
Some of the Baccarat cigars from Nicaragua can be mild and nice, and fair priced. Be careful, some Nicaraguan cigars and some Honduran cigars can be pretty strong. Also, the Te-amo cigars are a bit stronger flavored (Mexican).
Enjoy -- I love cigars, don't get to relax with one often enough. Actually, maybe right now would be a perfect time to step out for a cigar, it's been a while, and my mid-year review is tomorrow - so some relaxation is in order....

Im not sure who makes it but its called a playboy, its a pretty good cigar. BTW i am not a big cigar person.

CAO makes some good cigars both medium and small ones in tins. Best place is to go to a smoke shop and look around in the humidors. Ask the counter help if they've smoked any and see what is recommended. Usually it takes time and just try some till you get the ones you really like. A good cigar and homebrew are one of life's greatest pleasures! :)

best advice I can give is to buy a small quantity of cigars, like a 5 pack which you can get off of many websites i like famous-smoke.com, but get a large variety of cigars. Also try all sorts of sizes even though you may like the feel of smaller cigars you might be surprised at the taste difference of a larger cigar like a churchill versus something like a petit robusto. Another big thing is to not be misled by the color of the cigar, I have had some light colored cigars that were powerful and overbearing and some dark cigars ive tried have been real mellow and pleasant to smoke. A good thing to consider when starting out is to stick with more of the main stream brands since they will most of the time offer the best quality and consistency. But yeah like someone else said macanudo is a good cigar along with CAO, Punch, Partagas, Romeo Y Julieta, these four are some of my favorite brands. Hope this helps.

Back