Oh Ethyl Acetate, how hard you are to drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJerryrigger

Reaction score
So anyway, I have made several wines which have a very strong ethyl acetate nose. Is there anything I can do with these bottles to improve them? Will age help at all? Should I just use it as paint thinner?

Thanks

Sorry, once it gets to that stage it is pretty much beyond help. The only possibility is to add a large dose of metabisulphate to a trial sample, leave for an hour or 2 and see if that helps.

Sorry, once it gets to that stage it is pretty much beyond help. The only possibility is to add a large dose of metabisulphate to a trial sample, leave for an hour or 2 and see if that helps.

Thanks, assumed it was there to say, well short of distillation. Do you know how the sulphate trick works, or have a link explaining it?

SO2 (from the metabisulphite) scavenges oxygen, and O2 is what causes the problem, also SO2 binds to acetaldehyde which is part of the problem. Adding SO2 may not fix it, but it's worth trying a sample just to see.

SO2 (from the metabisulphite) scavenges oxygen, and O2 is what causes the problem, also SO2 binds to acetaldehyde which is part of the problem. Adding SO2 may not fix it, but it's worth trying a sample just to see.

cool, thanks, I will. How much SO2 should I shoot for in the test? You said large dose, so I'm thinking 150ppm, but maybe I should aim even higher, and then try to remove it?

I've had this problem before and fixed it 2 ways. You can blend it, I had a peach with about 16% ethyl I mixed 1 part white grape peach juice to 2 parts peach wine, but mix to taste. You can also make another batch of the same wine with 1/2 to 1/4 as much sugar and blend. The next time you make wine check your SG at start and often, you can figure your alcohol content with the SG change. To prevent this from happening again use less sugar or stop fermentation earlier. Good luck

I've had this problem before and fixed it 2 ways. You can blend it, I had a peach with about 16% ethyl I mixed 1 part white grape peach juice to 2 parts peach wine, but mix to taste. You can also make another batch of the same wine with 1/2 to 1/4 as much sugar and blend. The next time you make wine check your SG at start and often, you can figure your alcohol content with the SG change. To prevent this from happening again use less sugar or stop fermentation earlier. Good luck

Thanks Rev! That's a simple way to address the problem. I think it may work out well for this particular situation too. The ethyl wine was made from raspberry jam, and I'm making some skeeter pee right now. I think the two could be combined to make something drinkable.

cool, thanks, I will. How much SO2 should I shoot for in the test? You said large dose, so I'm thinking 150ppm, but maybe I should aim even higher, and then try to remove it?

150ppm sounds right. Blending is also an option but do a trial first. you don't want to ruin your good wine by adding bad. whatever you do, some SO2 will be needed.

Back