Primed keg had small leak. Additional CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscam

Reaction score
So i primed my last keg w/ sugar, hit it with gas to seal, and pulled the gas disconnect off. Checked the pressure about 5 days later and nothing. Figured out my gas poppet was sticking and leaked out the initial CO2. My question is, will i need to add some additional CO2 to fully carbonate the keg since there was a stretch when it was naturally carbing but was also leaking?

So i primed my last keg w/ sugar, hit it with gas to seal, and pulled the gas disconnect off. Checked the pressure about 5 days later and nothing. Figured out my gas poppet was sticking and leaked out the initial CO2. My question is, will i need to add some additional CO2 to fully carbonate the keg since there was a stretch when it was naturally carbing but was also leaking?

Yes, I assume that much of the co2 leaked out. You'll either need to reprime, or force carb.

leak fixed. gonna force carb. any chance of overcarbing w/ priming sugar already in the keg or did most of it leak out during the initial stage?

I'd force carb because you don't know exactly how much leaked out so it would be tough to calculate how much priming sugar to add without over carbing. With the set-it-and-forget-it method of force carbing, it will work itself out without overcarbing.

I'd force carb because you don't know exactly how much leaked out so it would be tough to calculate how much priming sugar to add without over carbing. With the set-it-and-forget-it method of force carbing, it will work itself out without overcarbing.

cool. thanks!

Back