lager pitch temp from IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jboggeye

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am doing my first lager (German Pils!) in a few weeks and have been researching the best methods.
My IC can only get my temps down to 65F, when I know the best way would be to cool to 46ish and pitch.
So it seems like like I have two options:
1. Pitch at 65 and slowly lower to ferm temp (say 48)
OR
2. Place bucket in Freezer until cooled to 45. Rack into fermenter- picth at 46.
I hear this takes about 4-5 hours?

What do you guys think?

I vote #2

If you want to pitch at 45, the 4-5 hours won't really make a huge difference.

I suspect other people might tell you that you should pitch warm, though. There is an ongoing debate about what temperature to pitch at. I tend to like pitching nice and cool, rather than pitching it warm and then dropping it down. If you do a search for Narziss lager fermentation methods, you'll find one argument for pitching cold. Other people feel that pitching warm helps the yeast get going better.

If you have a harbor freight near you go pick up a cheap (as in 5-10 dollar) submersible pump. Slide some tubing over the outflow and hoseclamp it to the IC and recirculate water from a cooler with lots of ice and water to drop the temp some more.

or go with #2 and stick it in the freezer for a few hours.

I vote for #2 or swampassJ's method with the pump.

There are many times in homebrewing that people are faced with this decision: should I do the easy method that lots of people subjectively say "it worked for me!" or should I do the difficult way that I know has a better potential to make better beer... always go with number 2.

Latest posts

Back