Brewing outside have questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
Ok so my wife absolutely hates the smell of wort. So wanting to have a happy marriage my only option is to brew it outside (I have no garage). Now it is the middle of winter in the northeast but I am still willing to brew outside my question is will a turkey fryer work fine?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202038907/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

This one specifically. If not can you direct me to one that would work?

Besides the cold is there any problem brewing outside? Besides being cold. Are there any special precautions I should take other then standard safety?

It looks like it has a a saftey feature to prevent overheating Those things shut off every few minutes unless you remember to press the button. Inevitable that happens when you gone into the bathroom or something and don't get back for 20 minutes and you find your boil has stopped. Yours looks to be that big black box on the front with a nob on it....You can't really bypass them and it will inevitably frustrate you.

The Brinkmann 30 qt. Turkey Fryer comes with a 12 in. deep fry thermometer and a turkey stand with hook. The temperature sensor will automatically shut off the gas flow to prevent overheating.

I've posted this in other threads.

But of greater concern for you is that that burner stand advertised has the newer safety feature that requires you to push a button every 5-15 minutes in order to keep the gas flowing.

They're a pain to use for home brewing, and noone's come up with a good way to bypass that feature.

This one doesn't have it, it is a straght un-inerrupted hose from tank to burner'

turkey-fryer.jpg

But if you look at your picture you will see a little grey box a little larger than an AA battery with a red button on it, located after the red-knobbed regulator. It uses different sized fittings so you can't even easily cut it out of the line and straight pipe the hose.

0008179512670_500X500.jpg

If all you can find at stores are the ones with the safety feature, than look at Cl or Garage sales.

8e82b106-88a5-445d-bd5b-e298336645ea_300.jpg

In yours it looks like a little red nob right near the burner itself.

Some folks have jury rigged stuff, but I don't know if your can be. There are some threads around here about it if you want to search...but I would look for one without the safety feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so if I get that turkey fryer I just throw the pot in the oven for 10 minutes at 350?

Joedub said:
Ok so if I get that turkey fryer I just throw the pot in the oven for 10 minutes at 350?

Why would you think that? Just bring 6 gallons or sobto a boil to set your oxide coating, the water will turn black. Dump it out and brew.

Latest posts

Back