Grains to Make up 1lb of Amber LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaselun

Reaction score
Hi guys, semi new brewer here.

I am brewing the recipe for ChshreCat's Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/double-chocolate-oatmeal-snout-126638/ )

The recipe calls for 7 lb's of Amber LME, and northern brewer only sells it in 3 and 6 lb containers. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I don't want to purchase the extra 3 lb container for $9.

So my question is what do you guys think I should use to make up for that pound of Amber LME?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks

I live just down the street from Northern Brewer though so I save shipping by going there instead.

I'd like to make up that extra pound of Amber LME with grain since it is a better price and I am already partial mashing. Any ideas on what grains to use?

Careful - Amber LME is NOT the same as amber malt....

Amber LME is, if I recall - 2-row, crystal 60, and maybe something else...

be right back...

Amber LME is approximately 90% 2-row, 7% 60L, and 3% Munich - definitely not the same as Amber Malt

oh perfect answer. There is probably a calculation somewhere to find out how much I will need to equal a pound of LME?

Thanks!

Edit: If not Ill just get a couple pounds of 2 row and 2/5 pound of 60L and it'll probably turn out alright. I like to keep things simple

Careful - Amber LME is NOT the same as amber malt....

Amber LME is, if I recall - 2-row, crystal 60, and maybe something else...

be right back...

Amber LME is approximately 90% 2-row, 7% 60L, and 3% Munich - definitely not the same as Amber Malt

Not sure how you came up with the percentages but that is at least the sames grains that Briess lists on their site for the Sparkling Amber extract. All the other manufactures are too chicken to disclose that much.

Not sure how you came up with the percentages but that is at least the sames grains that Briess lists on their site for the Sparkling Amber extract. All the other manufactures are too chicken to disclose that much.

I did a search on here and saw it cited from somewhere....

Back