Just got THE Package

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterShake

Reaction score
So i just got my FedEx from Northern Brewer. Everything was packed nicely and really light. I thought they forgot my Better Bottle but..its so damn light.

So I got all my equipment except for 1 little thing. I had ordered the ported version of a Better Bottle (dunno if thats good or bad) but I forgot to order the little tool they have to install the racking adapter (its like 3 bucks). Does anyone have any other ideas on how to install it without a tool, i mean i could just get a small pipe..

got a couple of other questions, i am planning on brewing on sunday. my kit comes with LME do i need to put it in the fridge? its about 80F in my kitchen...

I put the yeast in the fridge right away, but i am afraid it might be dead..can i smack it 24 hr's prior and leave it in the fridge? see if it inflates or not and then pitch it?

those are all my questions for now :)

I'd put the LME in the fridge or a cooler place.

As for the yeast, just smack it the night before and leave it on the counter to see if it is viable.

There is a thread that I once saw in the DIY? section detailing how to install a DIY spigot in a Better Bottle involvong some string and a small piece of wood. I looked briefly but couldn't find it. With more patience than I have you may find some luck. I use the Better Bottles w/o a port and just rack to a bottling bucket. No leaks this way GAURANTEED!

There is a thread that I once saw in the DIY? section detailing how to install a DIY spigot in a Better Bottle involvong some string and a small piece of wood. I looked briefly but couldn't find it. With more patience than I have you may find some luck. I use the Better Bottles w/o a port and just rack to a bottling bucket. No leaks this way GAURANTEED!

:off: Your tagline is missing one point... first rule of plumbing is: Don't lick your fingers.

Smack it now, and if it swells it should be good. After it swells, make a starter for it ;)

i am not really at the point where i am comfortable making a starter...i am still scared about sanitation. think ill just pitch it as is.

got a couple of other questions, i am planning on brewing on sunday. my kit comes with LME do i need to put it in the fridge? its about 80F in my kitchen...

I would put the LME in the fridge, but I will advise that you remove it from the fridge a few hours before you brew, or even submerge it in warm/hot water prior to brewing. That stuff has a consistency worse than molasses when it's cold, and my arms were exhausted from holding that thing above my brew kettle for 15 minutes waiting for it all to come out.

I put the yeast in the fridge right away, but i am afraid it might be dead..can i smack it 24 hr's prior and leave it in the fridge? see if it inflates or not and then pitch it?

I wouldn't smack it then put it in the fridge. You're liable to put the yeast in to hibernation before they have a chance to do their thing and swell the package. Just smack it the night before as previously stated.

i am not really at the point where i am comfortable making a starter...i am still scared about sanitation. think ill just pitch it as is.

Don't be scared to make a starter, it is extremely simple, all you are doing is growing yeast hence increasing your cell count, reducing lag time and possible off-flavors, promoting an overall healthier fermentation.

I was apprehensive the first time I made a starter, but I would not use a liquid yeast culture without one now. I would postpone brew day before pitching without a starter!

Check out this link: Fourteen Essential Questions About Yeast Starters

It may take some of the anxiety away.:D

Starters are good for most beers when you use liquid yeast. Two styles that I probably wouldn't make a starter for are certain Belgian styles and Hefeweizens. The amount of yeast you pitch for those beers affects the amount of esters they produce. For those beers you want the esters so it's usually desirable to not make a starter.

If you're not making one of these styles, then I would recommend a starter. For other styles, it depends on your starting gravity. Below about 1.040, you shouldn't need a starter assuming your smack pack is fresh (based on the manufactured date).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back