Mango Pulp Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393083164.739473.jpg
After 29 days in the secondary we reracked and SG is .990. The original 6gal batch is now just a 4gal with all the lees. Looking at around 15% ABV. Wine at this point is flavorful, not tart, with a good burn. Another month and we will be stabilizing and sweetening. Then bottling. Total time should be about 3 to 3.5 months from start to bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow Ff500 it looks beautiful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Well I got lucky I work at a winery and my boss donated bottles and corks for my lemon wine SCORE!

Well congratulations Mindi! Send some of that this way lol!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My lemon wine so good

1393365806693.jpg

I should FF500 where you at? If u give me an addy ill send it I have to send some to my friend in washington

I'm on to my cider venture I'm making apple white cran peach it bubbling as I type

We are in southeastern Illinois, just south of I-70

Damn my aunt lives just outside of chicago can't remember what town anyway we are in so cal near san Diego

I think I'm guna make this wine after I bottle my cider any advice I'm guna make 3 gal to start

Don't add the acid blend till it's completely done fermenting to make it easier on the yeast. And maybe cut down a bit on the sugar. Also be prepared to lose about a third of the batch due to the amount of lees. We made six gallons and lost 2gal.

Damn yea I was planning on cutting down the sugar because the mango pulp has sugar added a lot of sugar added I also don't think ill even add the acid blend . So I should make 5 gal to get 3 hmmm I ve also never used wine tannin but I'm pretty new to this

This is the first time trying to make wine but I have made mead. I would like to make 3 gallons of this. So, from what I have been reading I should triple everything except the yeast and hold off on the acid blend until after fermentation?? I got the Hathi Kesar mango pulp. Thanks.

This is the first time trying to make wine but I have made mead. I would like to make 3 gallons of this. So, from what I have been reading I should triple everything except the yeast and hold off on the acid blend until after fermentation?? I got the Hathi Kesar mango pulp. Thanks.

That would be a good plan yes.

So, I'm living in a SE Asian country with plentiful fresh mangos but very minimal access to good brewing equipment. What homebrewer is going to let that stand between him and good drink, though? :rockin:

I bought 4 kilos of fresh mangos at the market today, along with more white sugar than I could ever possibly know what to do with all for $7. My wife and I peeled, scored, put in plastic bags, and squashed (to the best of our ability) all 4 kilos, which came out to 2.5 kilos (or about 90 ounces) taking in to account the loss of the peels and seeds.

Meanwhile, we sanitized a 5 gallon #1 (PET) plastic drinking water vessel with three feet of 1 cm diameter blow off hose rammed through a hole in its lid with 3 gallons of a 1 tbl/gal concentration bleach solution. Made sure to get the spigot, all the nooks and crannies, and the hose itself nice and clean. 20 minutes later, I dumped and rinsed it thoroughly with sanitized water I'd just boiled in our new 50L aluminum pot to get a nice oxide layer on it.

While that cooled down in the bathroom, we brought 24 cups of water, the 2.5 kilos of mashed, purred mango, and 17.5 cups of white sugar to a slight boil. I wanted to hold back on the sugar even more for fear that my admittedly weak ass strain of yeast likely couldn't handle the OG (and expected final abv%) of this wine, but nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

Currently, the creation is cooling in my covered aluminum pot in the tub, and once it's down to room temperature I'll pour and pitch. I have no access to yeast nutrient (which I hope won't be a problem, given the mineral content of mangos), no pectinase (which I know won't help things), and no tannin addition (which doesn't really make too much of a difference), but did add 3 tablespoons of a combination of lemon and lime juice to give it a little acidity before we started to cool it. No tartaric/malic acid presence, but then again, you brew with what you have ...

Oh, and without access to a hydrometer, I rubberbanded a straw in an odd shape, weighted it down with a screw, and calibrated it against three sugar solutions of known density. I estimate my OG at 1.110 :ban:

Update: Pitched 1.5 teaspoons, twisty-tied the blow off tube in to a pot of bleach water, and 7 hours later I had a steady stream of bubbles, about one every second. Looking to rack to secondary after three weeks hopefully ...

Very impressive Hendricks! The hydrometer trick has me very impressed.

FF500... Thank you so much for figuring out this recipe. I wanted to try it but as I kept reading more and more people kept having fermentation issues. Now that you have it figured out I can make this wine with some confidence! I'm in southeast Iowa any way in could sample yours?

I'm going to make this for my very first wine.

Well we will be bottling 2 gallons of it in two weeks from today. Today we added 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate and back sweetened since we got ours down to .990. We have brought it back to around 1.005. Has a very nice taste. Sky I'm not sure how you could sample ours without driving to southeastern Illinois lol. If you come up with something lemme know!

How many here subbed out sugar for more mango pulp? If you go all pulp, do you think that will produce a sweeter final wine, or similar attenuation and more mango flavor?

I'm new but I'd say lower ABV and more mango taste.

I'm new also but with my previous brews I've learned that if you keep the abv lower like in the 9 and 10% range with wine that it keeps its good flavor and some sweetness

My experience with table sugar (as a beer maker) is that it's a drying agent because it's so fermentable. Then again, when you're working with fructose and glucose (fruit sugars) instead of maltose, maybe it's less fermentable? Then again, this is sweetened pulp, so what it's sweetened with is a factor, too. Maybe fermentability is not a factor at this point and sweetness is just about hitting the yeast's alcohol tolerance so it gives up?

I'm confused about all that, but either way I think you'd get more mango flavor from more mango (substituted for sugar in proportion to its sugar content, per the label). Whether it would have an impact on sweetness/dryness or other factors I can't say.

Substituting pulp for sugar would also lower the pH, I imagine.

So, I racked this off the (very!) prodigious sediment last night, and allowed myself a little taste. I like it a lot -- it's pretty hot, though. The warmth starts at the back of the throat, and kind of blossoms into your mouth. I do like it as is, but I'm hoping the pepper heat will mellow out a little with age.

It's not completely clear yet, but I'm in no rush. I'll rack it again in a month or so, and if it has stopped throwing lees at that point, I'll bulk age it about 6 months or so before bottling.

I just started a batch of this, with minor variations. First, in a 3 gallon batch, I used about 8 pounds of honey and 2 cups of corn sugar. Secondly, I roasted peppers -- 4 jalapenos, and 4 red chilis -- and added the roasted peppers to the must.

I suppose this will be a capsicumel, since the honey will still constitute the primary fermentable despite the corn sugar and the sugars in the mango pulp).

In any case, it's happily working away right now -- very happily! Here's how it looks so far:

I left headspace for the foaming (which it is now doing in abundance), and will top it up when racking off the primary ferment.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395077993.423653.jpg
Finished product and a happy wife. We back sweetened from .990 to 1.006 using simple syrup solution. It's def very warm right now at about 15% ABV but I'm sure it will settle down over the next several months. Next time we will hold back on even more of the sugar in the beginning to lower the ABV a bit. Other than the burn, my wife says it has a very nice taste that she is looking forward to in about 6 months or so.

Two months from starting the batch to bottling. You sure don't mess around FF500. If you started a batch every three months you'd have fun and a very good supply. Glad to hear you had a great result. Age and enjoy!

Well you know how us newbies can get in a hurry! Lol. It was completely done and very clear so I couldn't hold the wife back anymore. We stabilized with potassium sorb ate and back sweetened and then let it sit for a week to make sure it wasn't gonna start fermenting again and then bottled. Just started a apple cranberry batch and a blueberry pomegranate batch as well. Havin a blast!

FF500 you my have mentioned this but I didn't see it. Did you add the acid blend after fermentation stopped?

And how much sugar did you use to backsweeten?

I have all the ingredients except the yeast, and will be freeing up a carboy this weekend so I'm finally going to get mine started.

We actually didn't end up adding any acid blend at all. We added enough sugar to bring the batch from .990 to 1.006, but that's just where my wife thought it was sweet enough. Not sure how much sugar it took. Def recommend the recipe that we tried with maybe a little less sugar to begin with unless you are looking for a hot wine.

We actually didn't end up adding any acid blend at all. We added enough sugar to bring the batch from .990 to 1.006, but that's just where my wife thought it was sweet enough. Not sure how much sugar it took. Def recommend the recipe that we tried with maybe a little less sugar to begin with unless you are looking for a hot wine.

Thanks! I'm sure the hotness will age out, might take the better part of year though :(

Has anybody used fining agents with this like Bentonite at the start or Sparkalloid once fermentation has stabilized? I'm thinking about making this with the nectar from Costco and that looks like about 2.2 times the sugar of the cans, so I will add less sugar.

I always use bentonite - helps with fermentation as well as being the first step in clarification…

When do you use it and how much for a six gallon batch? We just started our second batch.

I always use bentonite - helps with fermentation as well as being the first step in clarification. That mango nectar is probably puréed mangoe, so you are going to get a lot of particulates…

You'll absolutely want to check SG before adding sugar.

Did you do anything different with this second batch FF500? I have to get a batch going myself. I'm using white grape concentrate in mine.

With this batch we added less sugar to begin with. Last time we got about a 15% ABV, this time we are going for a 12-12.5% ABV. WE USED 20 cups instead of 27 cups of sugar. My wife is still enjoying a bottle from our last batch. I think she has 3 bottles left. However, we took your advice and decided to mix a couple gallons of our last batch with some grape and strawberry and my wife says it's the best wine she's ever tasted. And she's a wine drinker! Lol.

That sounds great FF500. You have to keep that pretty lady happy and well stocked. You may want to consider producing several batches a month for straight up Mango Pulp wine and for blends. She deserves only the best and now she knows you can make it. You've really set up her expectations and now you got to deliver consistently and in adequate volume. It seems like what was a hobby is now going to be a requirement. But for her, I'd do it definitely. You lucky dog!

Now Bentonite is used when the wine is fully fermented but still shows a lack of clarity. Some use it earlier just after primary fermentation is finished (I don't). If possible, I cold condition wines when aging and this usually clarifies them well. Bentonite is a gray clay granular compound which has negatively charged anions which specifically remove proteins in suspension. When used, you mix 3 tablespoons Bentonite in one pint of boiling water and stir it up. Blending for 1-2 minutes is even better. Then cover it and let sit for 12 hours (if you can wait that long as the bentonite swells). You mix/blend it until it's creamy and put one to two tablespoons of that slurry per gallon of wine (depending on the clarity of the wine). It works even better if the wine is cooled. When possible I cold condition my wine on the basement floor as the colder wine assists in the electrostatic action that clarifies the wine. If you can have the wine at 45-50 degrees F, it works much better. Also stir the wine gently, not to add any oxygen, but to thoroughly mix the Bentonite throughout the whole wine volume. Also stirring again every several hours after addition helps to get the Bentonite back suspended so it can bond to even more protein particles. I let it sit for a couple weeks and rack off it. It should work fine for you. Bentonite won't affect the color of your wine. Some fining agents (like Polyclar) can strip color from your wine.

Another clarifier is Sparkolloid. It is a positively charged clarifier which will also bond with tannin, phenols, yeast cells and bacteria to pull them out of solution. With Sparkolloid you add 1 tsp. per gallon of wine to 2 cups of boiling water and boil for 5-10 minutes or let simmer for 15-30 minutes until it shows a smooth creamy consistency then add it to the wine while still hot and stir it in to mix well with the wine. Then let it settle and work for 1-2 weeks and carefully rack off it. Sparkolloid won't affect your wine's color.

Super-Kleer K-C is a two stage liquid product that uses both positive cations (Chitosan) and negative anions (Kieselsol) to clarify wines. This comes in two packets. You add the Kieselsol from the packet directly into your carboy and stir it in gently. The Chitosan is dissolved into 1 oz. of warm water then added to the carboy with gentle stirring. This stuff works for a 6 gallon carboy full of wine in 48 hours. This doesn't affect wine color but Chitosan is from the shells of shellfish so if anyone you are making the wine for has an allergy to shellfish, I'd suggest you don't use Super-Kleer to be safe. If your wine doesn't clear from Super-Kleer, you didn't use pectic enzyme prior to primary fermentation. Be sure to use pectic enzyme with fruit wines to remove any pectin hazes later. A little prevention is worth a lot of cure later.

Hope this helps.

I've followed the original recipe –and it’s amazing! - but I now want to make a lower alcohol version to have as a longer refreshing drink, at around 6%. I wanted to get people’s thoughts on what would be the best way of doing this. I was thinking I could:

• Make a version with maybe twice as much mango pulp (2 cans per gallon) and then dilute it once it’s made
• Follow the existing recipe (although with less sugar) but halt fermentation early with potassium sorbate or something similar?

I’m new to wine making so maybe neither would work! Any thoughts greatly received.
Joseph

Back