Smoked Homebrew - Post Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This year I'm going to venture off into making some radically different beers. Starting with a variety of smoked beers, maybe a smoked cider and a smoked mead. Sounds out there, like who the hell would smoke cider or mead, but I got a new cooking gadget for x-mas that is still unused. Beer is coming to mind before food. (Been eating out too much lately)

the-smoking-gun-2012.jpg

The Smoking Gun

This is a smoking gun made for smoking food and drink in the kitchen. I plan to try using this in a non-traditional sense first before smoking wet two-row or 6-row. The thought is to try multiple smoke varieties on a base beer like an amber wheat or helles.

The process I envision is starting off by smoking just pint glasses then filling them to find out how it fits with the beer. All you need is a empty glass to smoke, pinch of wood chips, a lighter and the gun. Obviously, a 12oz beer worthy of drinking in a smoked glass.

This could lead to smoking a freshly sanitized keg or carboy.

The smoke types I have readily available; (They come in shavings from Polyscience)
  • Hickory
  • Mesquite
  • Apple
  • Cherry

You can smoke spices too; (Anything that will burn)
  • Black Pepper - Any Pale Ales or Wheat
  • Rosemary - Any Pale Ales
  • Coriander - Wheat Beer
  • HOPS - Not sure yet.
  • Vanilla Beans - Cider, Mead or Dark Ales
  • Coffee Beans - Stouts & Porters
  • Chai Tea - Mead or Wheat Beer
  • Cinnamon - Cider

I'm thinking I can use my malt liquor first to start smoking. Its very low hopped and it has a reddish maltyness from roasted barley.

I'm excited about trying the traditional smokes, but black pepper and rosemary and coffee sound intriguing. Hops sound kind of crazy but taste is 90% smell. If the smell of burning hops is not bad, then maybe.... it would be kind of cool to have a beer that been smoked with hops. Its novelty of it sharing it with fellow homebrewers who have a WTF look in their eyes...:D

The good thing if all else fails I'm only going to waste one 12oz beer on any wild idea.

:pipe: BTW - I saw a video on this website above where some guy used a piece of cuban cigar to smoke chicken... Get your cigar cutter out ....
There are also videos on You tube on smoking whiskey with this thing. Some guy is smoking a half gallon with hickory or mesquite out of a glass milk jug.

Thoughts and comments welcome. I will post my results and tasting notes after new years...

That's so freaky it just might be awesome! Consider pumping it (Infusing it into the finish beer) in a corny or secondary after your testing, unless that would oxygenate it too much. I'm interested in your results, never seen such a gadget.

I could do the smoking one of a few ways. In the carboy that's empty. In a carboy that's full. Then exactly the same thing in a keg or bottle. Either way the hose should NOT be submerged into the beer. Doing so would cause oxidation. Might be ok with whisky but not beer or wine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

OK - I did it....

I smoked some empty glasses. Two beer glasses then two mugs. Then some whiskey.

I used mesquite...

20140105_121239-61742.jpg

Turned it on and lit the mesquite

20140105_121436-61743.jpg

Started smoking glasses

20140105_121453-61745.jpg

Pumps lots of smoke quickly

20140105_121501-61747.jpg

The first beer had the glass smoked for about 30 seconds then I filled it with beer. It had a subtle smoke smell and taste but it was mostly smell and aftertaste where it was noticeable.

The second beer was smoked for about 30 seconds too, but I let the smoke sit in the glass upside down for about 30 minutes while I drank the first. The second beer was much more smokey in smell and taste. Almost like as if one used smoked malt.

I have a third glass that just like the 2nd but I changed the wood to apple.

Yet to try it but I bet it will be about the same however a bit milder.

I did some whiskey in salad shaker for later. The whiskey was in the shaker with a blow hose going into the whiskey and the glass completely full of smoke.

Anyhow it seems pretty cool. A carboy or keg will work for smoking. :rockin:

I would like to know how it would taste aged in the smoked carboy. Could be interesting.

Back