Agave pulque mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frige

Reaction score
I have wanted to make a margarita tasting drink after drinking the little budritas. The only difference is I want mine to taste good not like a bunch of artificial flavorings.

After doing research it looks like I should have about a 25/75 split between honey and agave nectar. The one issue I found is it does not retain enough flavor after it is fermented. Since tequila is boiled out of the heart of the plant and retains the impurities and flavor that has been refined out of the nectar. Funny thing is I have a few blue agave plants in the back of the property, so I got to thinking I could pull up a small one and cook it up to get the flavor. After putting it into the secondary I would add some key lime juice.
Thoughts?

No bites huh? Well I will try it anyway and see what I get, as long as I dont poison myself....:cross:

I think it sounds good. I wish I could grow agave up here. I love (good)tequila so anything that is similar I would likely be a fan of. Try it, and let us know how it goes!

Well I got started. Here is my recipe so far.
15# clover honey from costco.
5# raw agave nectar
16 oz key lime juice
3 gals of water.
Lalvin ec-1118 yeast

I mixed the honey and water and I will add the yeast and nutriment. In about a week or so I will add the agave. Then once it goes into secondary add the lime juice and the concoction I make up from my blue agave plants for flavor.
Any suggestions are welcome as usual I am flying by the seat of my pants here.

Well tonight I threw together the following
2.5 lbs honey
1 lb agave nectar
3 limes(peeled) plus juice
25 raisins
1 tsp DAP
Just pitched Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast

Stay tuned :)

Sounds good!
I probably should have made a 1 gal at first to test the recipe but I always go all in. LOL
I wonder if I should throw in some raisins?

Sounds good!
I probably should have made a 1 gal at first to test the recipe but I always go all in. LOL
I wonder if I should throw in some raisins?

They may have been overkill since I used the yeast nutrient, but judging by the activity in the airlock, the yeasties must be liking it

Well that was interesting.
I poured in a 1/2 tablespoon of nutrient and stirred up up then WHOOSH like a volcano. What a mess. At least the fermintaion is active...;)

Note to self dont do that.

Frige said:
I have wanted to make a margarita tasting drink after drinking the little budritas. The only difference is I want mine to taste good not like a bunch of artificial flavorings.

After doing research it looks like I should have about a 25/75 split between honey and agave nectar. The one issue I found is it does not retain enough flavor after it is fermented. Since tequila is boiled out of the heart of the plant and retains the impurities and flavor that has been refined out of the nectar. Funny thing is I have a few blue agave plants in the back of the property, so I got to thinking I could pull up a small one and cook it up to get the flavor. After putting it into the secondary I would add some key lime juice.
Thoughts?

The only thing I can think of would be to back sweeten after racking to give it the burst of flavor your looking for an possibly select a yeast with a lower alcohol tolerance to leave some residual sugar and flavor at the end

I hope I didnt mess this up. About a week in I added the agave and the fermentation is stalling. It has been sitting at 1.080 for over a week now. It is still bubbling and I am stirring and adding yeast energizer but the gravity remains the same.

Frige said:
I hope I didnt mess this up. About a week in I added the agave and the fermentation is stalling. It has been sitting at 1.080 for over a week now. It is still bubbling and I am stirring and adding yeast energizer but the gravity remains the same.

What's the ph?

Ahh that I do not know. I picked another packet of yeast but I will find that out before I pitch.

Frige said:
Ahh that I do not know. I picked another packet of yeast but I will find that out before I pitch.

Get your ph to 3.8 or as close as you can to that honey itself is slightly acidic and the yeast work best at that ph

I give up. I froze concentrated it to get to alcohol level down and got the og to 1.058. Then repitched with 4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and zip, nada, dead.
I will now pour it out. How sad.:(

Well tonight I threw together the following
2.5 lbs honey
1 lb agave nectar
3 limes(peeled) plus juice
25 raisins
1 tsp DAP
Just pitched Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast

Stay tuned :)

Just racked to secondary today. Original gravity 1.086, Currently 1.009, pretty hot yet, but has some subtle citrus from the lime and and the Agave has added a different charm then just using pure honey. I kind of have high hopes for this one.

I forgot all about this one. I was cleaning out the closet and I was about to dump it out but I checked the gravity. In the 4 months it sat around it dropped to 1.040 I tasted it and it does have a agave taste to it and is not rotten. Should I A) go ahead a bottle it, B) let it sit in the hopes it will drop further, or C) pour it out and start over.

Let it sit another month or 2 and see if it drops anymore, if it does let it do its thing until it stops. Some times these things take a year or so.

Back