Keg Leak, CO2 Tank Drained.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
Try this again with a different heading, last post got off track.
Keg leak, CO2 tank drained.
I've tried the soapy bubble test with the gas and beer lines connected and disconnected, on all the connections coming into and out of the manifold, on the keg lid, on the purge pulley. and on the regulator itself. Swapped all gas o-rings and re-lubed. Am I missing anything? Why is my co2 tank draining?
Help please.

Do you have clamps on the keg post connectors? If you have hose barbs, you might still need a hose clamp. I lost a lot of CO2 and most of a keg once to a faulty seal on the barbed connections on the keg connectors.

ball-lock-liquid-fitting-1-4-barbed.jpg

I've got the quick disconnects with barbs and hose clamps. I've soaped those things up too. I can't see any bubbles. I appreciate the suggestions. I'm stumped.

Yes, covered the regulator body, guages, connections to the tank and to the hose out in bubbles. No bubbles.

Does the system only leak with the gas line connected to a keg? Or does it leak regardless?

Leaks under gas QDs plugged on kegs are a pita to find. You almost have to eliminate everything else first. Or you can go through the trouble of using some duct tape to form a "bowl" at the top of a suspect keg deep enough that you can fill it with sanitized water and submerge the bottom of the disconnect to expose any bubbles coming out from under it...

Cheers!

The best way to figure this out is to isolate different parts of your system.

Turn off your manifold, turn off the valve on your regulator, disconnect your kegs. Turn on the CO2 and let it pressure up. Walk away - wait. Come back and look at the pressure level. If it's OK, your regulator is fine. Now open the valve on your regulator to test pressure between your regulator and your manifold. Repressurize, walk away, wait and come back and see if there is pressure. Now just keep doing this for each section of your kegging setup and eventually you will locate the leak without using up a whole tank of CO2. Once you figure out where the leak is, tighten everything down and retest.

Just fill your tub and submerge your keg. Set the psi to 50 it will be much easier to see the leak.

Thanks everyone for the troubleshooting techniques and tips.
So I turned every keg upside down, dunked them in a bucket of water, no bubbles. Stuck the manifold and connections in a bucket of water, no bubbles. I was convinced that end of the system was good.
My regulator is a nitro regulator with the nitro to co2 adapter that connects to the tank. The regulator connections and the connection from the regulator to the adapter are easy to get wrenches on and get soapy water on. The connection from the adapter to the co2 tank itself is not so easy because of the co2 tank handle that makes it tight to get wrenches and finger/sponges, etc at it. I had tested that connection with soapy water before, but this time I really got in there and soaked that connection with soapy water. What do you know, A BUBBLE! Seemed like a small bubble but it was consistent. Cranked down the connection, no more bubble. I think that was it. Problem is I'm almost out of co2 now.
Thanks agian.

My favorite tricks for this have been to forget to:
  • tighten down the posts
  • tighten down the barbs.

I think you need to disconnect the gas lines from your keg and see what happens.

At least then you will know if it is you CO2 set up or the keg.

Good Luck

Back