Dry hopping in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrVertebrae

Reaction score
I'm brewing some such IPA and it calls for dry hopping and to be honest, I am thinking of doing a bit to some of my future batches. I like the hops aroma.

Anyway, the recipe calls for racking into a secondary and adding the hops to that. I'm not a fan of racking and have avoided a secondary thus far with good results but I also have never dry hopped.

So, secondary or not? Any problem with dry hopping in the primary?

I've dry hopped in primary without any issue. Well, other than what you would expect from using whole hops. :D Put them into a hop sack and you'll be fine. If you're going to use pellet hops, I wouldn't even worry about that.

I've also had solid results by dry hopping (again, in a nylon hop sack) in keg. I simply add the bag o hops to the keg right before it goes into the brew fridge to be chilled and carbonated. Dry hop addition lasts for the entire keg.

That's going to be the best way to determine which way you like best. I've found that if you dry hop at room temp, it fades before too long. If you dry hop in keg, however, it lasts as long as the keg does (do it chilled). Mainly because the hops flavors/aromas are being extracted while it's also carbonating. Then you still have the hops in there slowly giving up their greatness while you drink the brew (or pour pints).

Aaah,hoppy goodness. Drinkin som SNPA as we speak. I dry hop in primary after FG is reached & it settles out clear or slightly misty. Dry hop too soon,& the hop oils (lupulins) coat the settling yeast & go to the bottom. Wait till it's clear or nearly so to dry hop & aroma at 7 days is great. I use muslin grain sacks for raw (whole) hops & hop sacks for 1oz of pellets each to dry hop. Less mess going into keg or bottling bucket.
Keep in mind that our sense of smell is linked to our sense of taste,so aroma enhances flavor to that extent. The sinuses have holes in the roof of the mouth that help connect it to taste. That's how it happens. I noticed dog fish head dry hops tyhe beer before going to keg,& use a hop rocket from the keg to glass. so keg hopping woukld emulate this effect,imo.

I dry hopped my Kolsch in my primary. i just put them in a hop bag and tied a weight to it so that the bag didn't just float on top of the water. I let it sit for 3-4 days before bottling, and you can definitely taste the hop aroma, but no aftertaste! (the biggest negative to me fore IPAs)

3-4 days is ok,but a week is T & A! Next time I do my6 IPA,it'll get all new zealand hops. Talk about aroma & flavor! Longer dry hop seems to last longer in the bottle imo.

Since it had been in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks, I went ahead and racked into the keg with 2oz cascade and 2oz galena (sp?). Topped of with a bit of CO2 to minimize oxidation and now it sits for a few weeks or until I can't stand it any longer.

You should purge the headspace with CO2 as you would normally (for kegging). Once you add the hops, I'd also make sure it was chilled, or placed into the brew fridge/kegorator/keezer.

I haven't used a secondary for quite a few years, and I've never encountered any issues by not doing so (actually save a lot of hassle). I just dry-hop in the primary AFTER fermentation completes. Since I've just started kegging, I will probably start dry-hopping in the keg instead of the primary and see if that makes a difference (thinking it might be a small improvement, hopping step closer in time to the drinking step in the process).

Back