Fast fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debkid

Reaction score
I started a batch of IPA Dec 31... OG 1.060, had major foam blow out for 2 days.. then after 4 days it stopped completely.. Racked to secondary 1/4/2006.. 1.016 had a little airlock activity for a day or so.. and absolutely NO activity for 2-3 days.. current SG 1.015.. is it possible that the fermentation is complete. Should I wait or is it safe to bottle now? If I don't bottle by 1/13.. then it will have to wait til the 23rd.. how long can you leave in the secondary??

Deb

Personally I wouldn't ever bottle anything before two weeks, but I'm slow. Strictly speaking your fermentation is probably done (tho a couple more hydro readings will tell you for sure), but your beer will be much clearer if you just leave it set til the 23rd. As far as how long you can leave it in the secondary, as long as everything was cleaned and sanitized properly it can go for months.

My fastest ferments tend to be the most complete. A FG of 1.015 for an SG of 1.060 is on target. Three-four weeks in the secondary is fine, it would just reduce the amount of time you need to age after bottling.

debkid said:
I started a batch of IPA Dec 31... OG 1.060, had major foam blow out for 2 days.. then after 4 days it stopped completely.. Racked to secondary 1/4/2006.. 1.016 had a little airlock activity for a day or so.. and absolutely NO activity for 2-3 days.. current SG 1.015.. is it possible that the fermentation is complete.

Definitely. It sounds like a perfectly normal fermentation. Let it mellow out in the secondary for a few weeks, then bottle

The 23rd of what month:) Assuming you are talking about this month...It's racked... in a secondary... off the hops and yeast... it can be in the secondary a lot longer... A LOT LONGER if needed. Your good to go:)

Back